ScottHess

I am finishing up an RV-4 project which was started in the early 80's. The original builder opted for an alternate baffle arrangement called out in the manual which used a vertical front baffle (dam) rather than the horizontal method. The manual stated that this was preferred because it eliminated the need to seal around the flywheel and instead seal around the alternator and starter. Air intake was not affected because he also fabricated a rear induction system allowing for a smooth lower cowl.

My question is, has anyone seen this alternate method of baffling on any of the older RV's, and if so was it effective?

Thanks!

Scott

Photo here:
vzXVc9v5hMkCDDzm13WfRw

Baffles

Hi

This is the sort of arrangement used on Jodels. As you have saidit removes the need for a crank seal. The horizontal system has been modified by a lot of builders who have fitted plenums and Sam James type cowls.

I would suggest you test it and potentially save yourself a lot of work. If it aint broke don't fix it!!

That general baffle scheme is used on most big Continentals these days (example: Mooney Acclaim). On the Lycoming side, Steve Wolf uses it with his "smiley" Pitts cowl (see Tucker's airshow biplane).

Scott that is interesting.

On the one hand it has not become the way to do it in general, however my -4, like most -4 over cools, so even if it is less efficient my bet is that it will do the job.

Since you have it I would go with it. Steve.

Thanks for everybody's input, I really appreciate it. I will report in when I get some temperature information after the first few (hopefully) flights! BTW, all of your contributions to this forum, builder websites, etc. have been invaluable to me as I pick up the pieces of this project having only 1982 plans and a tattered manual :). Much obliged.

Best,

Scott

Last edited: