boom3

Well Known Member
I just bought a new Pneumatic Squeezer with the adjustable set from Brown a couple weeks ago. I've dimpled a lot with it but today I got to actually start riveting. I just about got all the rivets in the rear Horizontal Spar and all of the sudden it just stopped. It sounds like normal and everything, it just won't squeeze a rivet at all. I've checked my air is at 90psi and even tried another hose. I plan on calling Brown on Monday, but does anyone have any suggestions? I'm really having fun riveting!

Thanks!

Maximum sqeezing pressure is only obtained at the end of the piston's travel.

Is it adjusted so when sqeezing air (that is in the open without sqeezing a rivet) the gap is equal to the desired post-squeezing thickness of the rivet?

I hope this makes sense.

-Jim

Be sure you don't have the set adjusted to close, It will not squeeze if it hits the rivet before it has reached the end of the stroke.. If the set is coming up at all, I'm sure the tool is working...
Good Luck
Ron
FWF..9A

Did you maybe change to settign a longer rivet?

You need to readjust the plunger for different length rivets.

Sometimes if it is mis adjusted it wont squeeze the rivet hardly at all.
A squeezers mech. works in such a way that it gets the most power at the end of its stroke, not the beginning.

You may have the adjustable set out too far. The squeezer should be set so the finished rivet is set to it's proper height at the end of the stroke. Also, when dimpling, run the squeezer out to full stroke and adjust the set so the dies just touch. I, and most likely others, have experienced the seemingly weak squeezer. You never want the squeezer set so it can't reach the end of the stroke. That is where it is most powerful.

Roberta

Jeff,

I happened to read this post while in the office Saturday afternoon...I tried to call you, but the only phone number we have is your office number.

The issue you are experiencing is most likely not a problem with the rivet squeezer at all, but like most of the other posters have suggested, is caused by using squeeze sets that are too long or having the adjustable set holder out too far. In order for the rivet squeezer to reach its full power and properly squeeze a rivet, it must be able to "get over the hump" and cycle through its full stroke. When the travel of the squeezer is limited by either the use of too long of a squeeze set or an adjustable set holder being extended out too far, the unit will run into a "brick wall" and not reach its full compressive force. As the others have suggested, try backing the set holder off some or using thinner squeeze sets or a combination of both - this should alleviate the problem you are having and get you back to riveting.

If this does not solve your problem, please call me Monday morning and we will get you fixed up.

Thanks!

Michael Brown
Brown Aviation Tool Supply Co.
In beautiful Oklahoma City!
www.browntool.com
800-587-3883

It works, I'm dumb. :eek: I had been adusting it all morning for the different sizes and I guess on this one I started going the wrong way, and when it didn't work, I closed the gap even more which just made it worse. I just went out and opened the gap all the way, then started working back down until it was perfect.

Thanks all.

Oh yeah, how often should you oil one of these?

No oil

Not sure about the brown model, but the Avery doesn't get oiled. Something to do with possibly damaging a leather seal inside, or something...

another "no oil"

I have an Atlantic Air Tools squeezer and it specifically states no oil as well.
-mike

careful dimpling with it

careful dimpling with it, esp on soft stuff like hinge stock. it will warp stuff like elev spars among other things. start with a smalll amount of dimple and work into it untill you just feel the bump.i index my adjustable set holder to the yoke. it turns as i use it.
good luck

I don't think the piston needs oil, but you need to grease the roller and the set, once and a while when it gets dry, as it goes thru the yoke.

Roberta

Never oil a pneumatic rivet squeezer

The internal lube of a pneumatic squeezer is grease.

Only high speed pneumatic tools such as die grinders and drills, and rivet guns should be oiled with tool oil.

boom3 said:
Oh yeah, how often should you oil one of these?

Don't oil it, but you can squirt some white lithium grease all over the base of your adjustable set holder before inserting it.

Weak Squeezer...

OK, I am having the weak squeezer problem after successfully riveting about 100 rivets. I tried all the combinations of shims I could think of.

Is air and grease supposed to be blowing out the bottom of the tool where the bottom of the tool mates with the rest of the tool?

John Babrick