rvanstory

Well Known Member
I’m 1,500 miles from home with an issue with ignition system and need some insights. Was flying a 2 hour leg from Aurora OR (where I had a great tour of the Van’s factory) and my #6 EGT was unusually high at cruise… about 120 degrees high. The plane ran smooth, so decided to press on THINKING I might have an EGT probe going bad. Upon landing in Redding CA, did a “mag check” and found #6 cylinder on left mag (SureFly side) was not firing. Called the mechanic out at Redding Jet to help me diagnose. Found a bad plug! Problem solved…. we thought. Then found the wire running to that plug was bad also.

I will have to order a wire harness on Monday, but my fear is that SOMETHING caused the plug AND wire to fail at same time. I don’t want to replace the harness only to damage it if there’s another core issue.

My question… Could the SureFly ignition possibly malfunction and damage the wire and plug? I’m tempted to order a new SureFly with the harness just to “make sure”. But that’s a $2,500 guess. I need to get home, and am willing to pay for the “insurance”, but thought someone else could give me insights to make a more informed decision. Any help would be appreciated.

I’d be inclined to replace the plug and wire and test fly. I think it’s possible for the plug to fail open, then the full high voltage is looking for a place to go - and found a weak spot in the wire’s insulation.