Pounder

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Had erratic (high) oil pressure indications, fixed by cycling master. I'm considering changing this to old school mechanical system.

But first, I'm curious if others have had problems with the stock Vans oils pressure setup. If so, are transducers and/or indicators he common culprit?

Oil pressure woes

I had the opposite - low oil pressure on the gauge (electric). Was flying back from a formation sortie and in level cruise the oil press dropped to about 25. All other indications normal. Left the power alone, came straight back home and landed. Removed the engine cowls and put a calibrated gauge on the engine and it showed 70 psi. I had mounted the transducer on a bolt on the engine (oops) and it had evidently vibrated too much. Got a new transducer and mounted it on the engine mount (less vibration) and everything now works fine. Probably should do a remote mount on the firewall but my real estate is a bit limited there.

Last edited:
I am using the new Dynon supplied three wire solid state sensors. I understand they don't have that problem, might be a solution.

Oil Press issue

I have a stock Vans electric Oil pressure indicator system and had a GUAGE go bad. During a phase one test flight (about the 30 hour point) the pressure began dropping off and stabilized at about 25 PSI in the several minutes it took to get on the ground.

My sender is mounted on the firewall. If it happens again I am going to a good old fashioned direct pressure gauge.

Thanks gents. Yes, mine is stock, the sender is on the "block" on the fire wall.

This morning I turned on the master and had about 10 PSI, static. then cycled it and it went to zero.

For simplicity i'll probably replace with the same. But I see a panel upgrade in my future that will include a redundant indicator... or single mechanical.

Oh, the oil related issues in my past....