briand

Well Known Member
I went to install my right elev. to my H-S last weekend for the first time and found that one of the 413PP hinges was made wrong (looks like it slipped in the forming die or something) and the bolt hole is about .025 further aft than the other, which makes the bolt slide through on an angle. I was wondering if there is any advice? Can I just use a longer bolt and add a washer under the head to prevent damage/stress to the hinge or will I need to replace the defective hinge, I would have to use blind rivets because the skin is already riveted to the rear spar.

BTW, I e-mailed Vans about 5 times but they won't respond, so now I hope one of you guys can help.

re: Vans not responding. Are you using a Yahoo account, or some other kind of spam filter. Sometimes, Van's e-mails end up in there.

-john

replacement

If I understand you description of the problem, that should be a slam dunk replacement. Vans should not have any problem replacing it. Call them; they might even put one in the mail to you even before you send it back. I found them to be very responsive; even by email. I'm surprised you are having problems. Jack

I have SBC yahoo, maybe thats my problem. I will change my filter settings and try them again.

You say replace but do you think blind rivets will be good?

briand said:
I went to install my right elev. to my H-S last weekend for the first time and found that one of the 413PP hinges was made wrong (looks like it slipped in the forming die or something) and the bolt hole is about .025 further aft than the other, which makes the bolt slide through on an angle.

I just looked at mine, and they're not all that precise either, but mine are more high/low vs fore/aft. Just to be clear, do you really mean .025", as in slightly less than 1/32"? Mine might be close to that far off, maybe a bit less, but I haven't drilled out the extra powder coating yet to find out.

FWIW, I'm not planning to worry about mine.

Cheers,
Rusty

Thats right, about 1/32". Maybe I'm worrying about nothing but I would like my bolt heads to sit flat against the hinge brkt.

I got my reply from Van's and they just said:

"It seems that you managed to get a bolt in the brackets. I might
drill the brackets to a #12 to make assembly a bit easier, then call
it good and proceed with the rest of the plane." :mad: :confused: :rolleyes: