Dbro172

Well Known Member
I've recently fitted my empennage, went to fit my rudder cable and cut the S.S. links connecting them to the rudder pedals and noticed I threaded my cables in backwards. This means the cables would bolt directly to the pedals and the cable links would need to be located back at the rudder.

It would be a real pain to remove the cables at this point, although doable. The good part is it would be easy to change out the links when needed if I install them at the rudder....

Any thoughts on whether this would be ok?

Hi Derek

I made the same mistake with my RV7, been flying for 88 hours and no issues so far, easy to keep an eye on and like you said making them longer of shorter is quite easy.

I just used two stainless straps each side purchased from the local boating store, one strap on the top and one on the bottom, cable link in-between.

The rudder will still hit the stops without interference and I have not noticed any possibility of the rudder cable getting jammed.

I guess the only down side might be a little drag from the extra hardware but I can't tell, I seem to be getting VANs published performance numbers.

Cheers

Last edited:
Flip-Flop

Well,

I came to my senses, removed and reinstalled the cable in the proper direction. It wasn't easy climbing back in the tail and pushing through all those grommets again, but within an hour or so it was all done. Now no:) worries.

I did the same thing :-(

I didn't even think about adapting the system to a backwards setup. Luckily, the top skin right behind the cockpit is not yet in place.