AntiGravity

Well Known Member
I'm about to order a couple of Infinity stick grips for my RV-8 and Infinity are also heavily pushing a backup oil pump. I must admit that it sounds like a good idea, but is it worth the extra cost/complexity/weight? Is the risk high enough to warrant the mitigation? Is there anyone out there that is using one? Thoughts or comments?

Just trying to decide whether or not to add one to the order; they're not that expensive really, and if they actually improve the longevity of the engine (pre-oiler function) and avoid a disaster (backup oil pump function) then maybe I should go ahead with it. And no, I haven't fully chosen my engine yet, though there's a 95% chance it will be a mattituck IO360.

Are your cam lobes oiled by pressure?

The biggest problem with a pre-oiler is that the cam is the weak point in a Lycoming. The cam lobes do not get oiled by pressure. They are oiled by "splash" only when the engine is running. Therefore, unless you have Ney nozzles, running a pre-oiler pump will not oil the cam.

I thought about getting one too

I was tempted but then after listening to all the nay-sayers with regards to redundancy...i decided against it. It may help the engine but there are tons out there without it that do just fine and as for having a back-up, well, I only have one prop, one engine, one radio, one nose wheel, one path of fuel flow etc.