Tbone

Well Known Member
Entertaining the idea of all glass in my 7 and was wondering what, if any, back up (steam gauges) should be used?

Here is my list.

I plan to have a True Airspeed, Altimeter, VSI and a Turn and Bank as backup instruments.

backups

I used an analog airspeed (UMA) and altimeter (genuine USA made Kollsman) in addition to the Dynon D100 and D120 EMS. I have seperate pitot on rt. wing for the redundant airspeed. Both systems share static. This is probably overkill, But my "old time religion" gut feelings say I need them.
HTH...Chris

Entertaining the idea of all glass in my 7 and was wondering what, if any, back up (steam gauges) should be used?
The requirement for back ups will depend on how you plan to use the aircraft. VFR, IFR, day, night, etc. Consider that any instrument or device might fail, and ensure that you have the means to safely get on the ground after that failure.

backups

The requirement for back ups will depend on how you plan to use the aircraft. VFR, IFR, day, night, etc. Consider that any instrument or device might fail, and ensure that you have the means to safely get on the ground after that failure.

Well said Kevin.. Interesting to note that all of the certified AC that I have seen sporting glass have steam backups for airspeed and altimeter. I think the Diamond has a backup attitude gyro as well. Seems these manufacturers see the need to have these fail safes in place. My 9 is my first foray into glass avionics, and to be frank, I am just apprehensive enough to require their presence. Maybe my next RV won't be equipped with backups at all, but for now...I feel they are worth the extra few pounds.
My2
Chris

Backup Attitude Indicator

Would TruTrak's ADI make for an IFR-legal and safe backup attitude indicator?
I'm thinking with my glass, I'll put in an ADI, basic ASI, basic Tach and basic ALT. Will this suffice?

Would TruTrak's ADI make for an IFR-legal and safe backup attitude indicator?
I'm thinking with my glass, I'll put in an ADI, basic ASI, basic Tach and basic ALT. Will this suffice?

It is both legal, and a good idea in my opinion! In truth, the "legal" part is easy to satisfy - you don't actually need a backup to satisfy the regs (but I do to satisfy my own personal minimums!). I find the ADI very easy to fly - better than a traditional pitch-indicating horizon, since it actually shows VSI trends (you can search for this topic - it;s been discussed before).

Personally, I would go the extra bit and install an ADI pilot II, giving you not only a good hand-flying tool as well as a two-axis autopilot so that you don't have to hand fly if your glass goes belly up....but I am not in the habit of spending other people's money, so that's a decision everyone gets to make for themselves....

Paul

ADI Pilot II

I already have the Digitrak-II-VSGV. I'm all for backups and redundancy, but I think two autopilots would be overkill. :D

Personally, I would go the extra bit and install an ADI pilot II, giving you not only a good hand-flying tool as well as a two-axis autopilot so that you don't have to hand fly if your glass goes belly up....but I am not in the habit of spending other people's money, so that's a decision everyone gets to make for themselves....

Paul

I can't say it any better than Kevin did.

For my day/night VFR ship, I have installed a Dynon EFIS D100 w/ battery backup and for navigation there is a 496, also with battery backup. Should the Dynon fail, the 496's compass function will get me home, not to mention the other features. On the steam gauge side, there is an airspeed, altimeter, and slip ball installed. The steam gauges are "powered" through the same pitot and static system as the Dynon, so that is a single point of failure which some people are concerned enough about to duplicate.

For my mission, I see no need for an autopilot of any type (at this time), thus no TruTrak.

What I have discovered is that I rely on the steam gauge airspeed and altimeter almost 100% and could turn off those functions on the Dynon and wouldn't miss them.

Last edited: