Stan Bahrns

Understanding that we cannot charge the backup battery with a charger & that it will charge on its own while flying. I have 40 hrs on the aircraft & am still getting a low battery warning. My regular battery has always held the proper voltage & I know there is some kind of a trick to get the backup battery charged. I evidently ran it down while getting the Skyview setup. Any suggestions?
Stan Bahrns

When you shut off power, select the battery test option if available. It will tell you the voltage of the backup battery. If the warning is "backup battery low" or something like that, then you probably have a bad backup battery that isn't charging correctly, especially after 40 hours. A test would be to put a 10Amp charger on the plane and leave the Skyview powered up (with everything else off) for several hours, and see if the backup battery comes up.

In my case, I had got a bad battery. After trying to get it charged, Dynon gave me a new one, no problems since.

Not if you use a charger that will put out up to 10A, but will output less as the battery voltage increases.

That is true if you leave it on long term, especially overnight or longer, but if you are just using it to keep the battery from discharging with the instruments on for a relatively short period of time, then just about any smart charger will act similar to the way the alternator does while the engine is running.

Skyview Battery

To charge the Skyview battery the Skyview must be ON, and input voltage 12.25 or greater. Page 9.3 of installation manual.

Last edited: