rgmwa

Well Known Member
I'm installing a backup steam gauge Alt and ASI. I'm assuming this is just a matter of tee-ing off the pitot and static lines as appropriate? Thought it would be wise to check to avoid another case of where I've assumed `the obvious' and it turned out to be wrong.

I did that as well , but you will have run an additional hose for static from the rear to the instrument panel

I did that as well , but you will have run an additional hose for static from the rear to the instrument panel

Why? I have T'd both static and pitot lines where they need legs into each appropriate instrument and things work fine. Is this a certification thing in your area? I think in the old analogue days when instruments had bellows and such, there was a problem with too large a static reservoir or something, but I think that's behind us now. Any experts care to chime in?:eek:

Nope

My -10 has a D-100 Efis and a backup ASI and Alt...all teed with one line running for airspeed and a single line for static.

There's no air flow in either line but small movement with altitude and greater pressure for higher airspeeds, which a single line handles easily.

Best

Joe is right
Skyview has the adhrs in the rear and the static line is not coming to the instrument panel.
I ran an additional line and coax for the adsb antenna also fitted in the rear, but found another way to run it as the mid channel is more than full

Easy for the D-180

That's the first thing I did after 143WM got her airworthiness certificate. As you assumed, I simply inserted "T's" for the additional plumbing. BTW, I used the "quick-click" fittings (forget the name, but readily available and they worked like I charm. I'd have happily paid the difference if Van's had used them everyplace.

Naturally the steam gauges don't agree precisely with the D-180 and neither agrees with the GPS altitude readout-- but the steam gauge airspeed doesn't continually fluctuate like the D-180 does.

Wayne 120241/143WM

Thanks all. My panel has a Skyview so I'll need to run a separate static line. I knew it was worth asking the question. :D

Thanks all. My panel has a Skyview so I'll need to run a separate static line. I knew it was worth asking the question. :D

....cheers Rob, that's great info!! Mine is currently wired for D180, which means I would normally need to remove the static tube to the front as it is not required to the Skyview unit. I will leave it in place for the option of steam gauges.

....cheers Rob, that's great info!! Mine is currently wired for D180, which means I would normally need to remove the static tube to the front as it is not required to the Skyview unit. I will leave it in place for the option of steam gauges.

Hi Marcus. It may not be such good news unfortunately. No problem if you're using a D180, but if you're installing Skyview using the D180 conversion kit like me, the old static line is recycled to become the new aft pitot line. Space in most of the tunnel is now very tight, so I'm doing some head-scratching to see where I can run the extra static line.

A note to any older kit builders still out there who haven't yet installed any serious wiring for the D180, and are planning to convert to Skyview using the conversion kit. If I was doing this again, having only run a few wires pre-Skyview, I'd pull the lot out, put the D180 harnesses aside in the lost cause pile, and order a clean Skyview installation. Vans have done a great job with the conversion kit instructions, and if you already have a D180 fully installed then the conversion kit is the only way to go.
However if you haven't, it becomes more difficult because the instructions often refer to or want you to make changes to wiring you haven't yet installed. So you have to work forwards using the old instructions and then backwards using the new instructions if you see what I mean. You're constantly checking between the D180 plans, the new Skyview plans, and the Conversion plans to make sure you haven't missed anything.
If you switch to a new Skyview installation, you will end up with a neater wiring job, fewer connectors, no cutting and removal of redundant wires, and get one or two minor enhancements that the legacy D180 wiring doesn't have.

Edit: you will still need a set of conversion plans and the required template to drill new holes in the panel base and firewall, new panel components, and a few other small items to make the required changes from the D180 kit, but the wiring itself will be a lot easier.

Last edited:
A note to any older kit builders still out there who haven't yet installed any serious wiring for the D180, and are planning to convert to Skyview using the conversion kit. If I was doing this again, having only run a few wires pre-Skyview, I'd pull the lot out, put the D180 harnesses aside in the lost cause pile, and order a clean Skyview installation.

Amen, Bro.... I mean Mate. Triple Amen!!!

I spent weeks, months sorting out all the conversion wiring issues. I could have, should have, yanked out everything - would have taken a few hours at most - and started from scratch.

Well, Experience is what you get from a lot of Bad Experiences....

Bob Bogash
N737G
4 Flights
3.6 hrs TT