tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
My GRT Sport did not come with a backshell for the 37 pin connector...at least I don't think it did. I am using a Dynon D6 as a backup, which is used so I don't know if it came with a backshell for its 37 pin connector.

Do I need to use a backshell? I assume that if GRT did not send one, I do not need one.

Any thoughts?

My GRT Sport did not come with a backshell for the 37 pin connector...at least I don't think it did. I am using a Dynon D6 as a backup, which is used so I don't know if it came with a backshell for its 37 pin connector.

Do I need to use a backshell? I assume that if GRT did not send one, I do not need one.

Any thoughts?

Blind assumptions should be avoided at all costs. If you have space for a backshell, use one. If you don't, you need to figure out wire support.

Backshells provide both wire strain relief and support for plugging/unplugging the connector. If the wires are well supported, a backshell is not a requirement in most of our applications.

Most avionics trays, for example, use D-sub connectors without backshells.

V

Shielded wire?

Any thoughts?

Tony,
Does GRT recommend shielded wire for the EFIS connections? If so, you want to use a back shell to continue the shielding. That would require either chrome plated die cast [zinc] or chrome plated plastic back shells to create the shielding. The plating is what would create the shielding on plastic back shells.
Charlie

GRT Doesn't require shielded wires - they have always supplied plastic backshells, and while not required, they are a very easy way of providing strain relief - which (as has been pointed out) is necessary.

They can usually be gotten locally, probably cheaper than shipping costs from anywhere.

Paul

I stand corrected

GRT Doesn't require shielded wires - they have always supplied plastic backshells, and while not required, they are a very easy way of providing strain relief - which (as has been pointed out) is necessary.

They can usually be gotten locally, probably cheaper than shipping costs from anywhere.

Paul

Paul is correct. When I was looking for the backshell from GRT it did not occur to me that it would be gray plastic. It is. I missed it. I had in my mind the "normal" metal backshell. After reading Pauls post I remembered seeing a gray plastic item in the box with the other GRT stuff. It was, upon further inspection, the backshell for the sport.

All is well :) Thanks Paul

If you look around the good electronics stores you might be able to find shorter backshells than provided. I found one that knocked over 1/2 inch off the Dynon 37 pin one - sometimes it's critical...:)

sport

Mike,

I ordered mine at sun and fun and received it a few weeks later.

I told them I was in no hurry and if someone else closer to flying needed one to put them ahead of me. That may have delayed my delivery. I still have not gotten the auto pilot servos however.

UPS dropped mine off this afternoon. They kind of roughed up the shipping box though. I guess I'll find out how robust it is when I get my wiring done and can turn in on. I took pictures of the box before I opened it just in case.