Brian130

Well Known Member
I did my first backriveting tonight. It's simple and gives great results! ... as long as the back rivet plate is under the gun. :eek: I was riveting the 2nd to the bottom stiffner on one of my rudder skins and the plate wasn't under the gun. It dented the skin a little bit and made a bulge on the outside of the skin. Do I leave it alone or fix it? Will I develop a skin crack there? I'd like to make it flush again but I'm afraid I'll make it worse. It's alot of work to replace it, but I'd rather do that than have problems later on if that's what I need to do. Thanks! (I tried taking pictures, but none of them showed the mistake very well.)

Brian,
It's cosmetic and not a structural problem. Once aluminum is "stretched" it will not go back. Anything you do will make it worse. Leave it! Replace only if it bothers you.

Brian,

I did the EXACT same thing on my rudder. Just leave it. I haven't done it since, and here's how I fixed my problem-

9_4_05_005.jpg

Thanks fellas. The "ARGH" has worn off and I clecoed the whole rudder together so I could see a big chunk assembled and it's not as obvious as it was in my head. I asked my wife to find it and she couldn't until I pointed it out. Thanks for the quick replies. I'm sure after paint and finishing it'll be even less apparent.

ditto

Brian:

I feel for you because I did exactly the same thing. As Mel said, it's cosmetic, just live with it and move on. Van's confirms this advice. I considered adding a vertical stiffener but I don't think it would have solved the problem.

Antony

I call this mistake the "backriveting Bah Mitzvah." Today you're officially a builder. Have a party and make sure the guests bring some money for you. I think I made this mistake twice..

I also embedded the plate in some MBF as illustrated. The problem is losing track of where the plate is under there as you move the skin along. So what I did to help is drew long lines extending out to the edges of the board on all four sides of the plate....so it would help remind me whether I was about to backrivet a spot that was getting near the edge of the plate....giving me the opportunity to move the skin to a more central spot on the plate.

Don't beat yourself up over it, we all strive for perfection and generally settle for something thats really good. From the RVs I saw at S N F this year it looks like any of us could work at Cessna or Piper and such and fit right in.
Just be proud of yourself for having the grit to start this in the first place.

RV 8
working on fuselage

Paul Tuttle said:
From the RVs I saw at S N F this year it looks like any of us could work at Cessna or Piper and such and fit right in.

Actually - I'd say we are better. I was looking at my hangar mate's new 172 the other day, and I'd say the riveting on typical RVs I've seen is better than a typical new Cessna. Sure - those guys might have lots more experience, but you can tell the workers are judged based on how fast they can bang one out.

I did the same thing! Leave it alone. I was told mine is probably "fixable" when it comes time for paint. Yours probably is to.