kentb

Well Known Member
When I reduce power on downwind for landing my lyc starts backfiring. Is this normal?

RV9A IO-320, EI on top mag on bottom, Hartzell CS, vetterman 4 to 2 pipes.

Kent

It is for me...

Mine has been this way from day 1, Kent. My hunch is that with full rich mixture and the CS prop acting as something of a brake on the engine, there may be some unburned mixture getting past the exhaust valves and then igniting late, or something like that. I've noticed that if I lean the mixture out a bit on approach, the backfiring goes away - of course, you want full rich in case you need to go around.....

Intake tubes

Kent,
Have you checked your intake tubes at the oil pan? They'll occasionally loosen up and allow air to be drawn in, leaning that cylinder. Also check the hose clamps on the tubes and the rubber connectors as well.

It is common for FI engines. It is called afterfiring when it explodes in the exhaust (backfiring is in the induction). Reducing power slowly will usually eliminate it, and making sure that the idle mixture is properly set will help also.

AlexPeterson said:
It is common for FI engines. It is called afterfiring when it explodes in the exhaust (backfiring is in the induction). Reducing power slowly will usually eliminate it, and making sure that the idle mixture is properly set will help also.

Agreed Alex,
with reguard to back or "afterfiring" generally if your engine backfires in the exhaust it is too rich. (mixture) If the engine "sneezes" backfires in the carb (or manifold for you FI guys) it is too lean. Do check your idle mixture.
Bill Jepson

interesting...

Some useful information, thanks guys.

I also have some trouble shutting down after flight. The idle is set to about 650 rpm. The engine will run on for some time after the mixture is pulled to shutoff. I have move the idle mixture control wheel to its most lean position. Before that adjustment I had to turn off the switch to kill the engine. If I leave the throtle at 1200 rpm like I do on my Cessna (same engine, but carb.) the engine will still not shutdown.

Do you guys think that this is a related problem and besides the above things to check, is there anything else that I should do?

Kent

kentb said:
When I reduce power on downwind for landing my lyc starts backfiring. Is this normal?

RV9A IO-320, EI on top mag on bottom, Hartzell CS, vetterman 4 to 2 pipes.

Kent

Yes very normal. FI is the key. Slow reduction is likely to not matter much. At idle stop, she will Pop pop pop. No big deal. You can see quiet a few detailed discussions on this on the rv-list.

Enjoy

Consult with the FI manual and manufacturer to see what the next steps should be. It sounds like you may have a problem with the idle and/or low speed mixture, since it is not shutting down right away even with your adjustment all the way lean.

I have Airflow Performance and have it adjusted per the manual, and throttle reduction speed is everything. If I reduce it quickly, I absolutely will get afterfiring. When reduced slowly, I might get a couple pops.

To trouble shoot improper shutdown on Precision Airmotive/Bendix style FI:
Disconnect the hose that goes form the fuel injection servo (or throttle body if you prefer that terminology) to the flow divider(or manifold valve if you prefer calling it that). Place mixture control in idle cutoff and confirm it is hitting the stop, at the fuel injection servo. Turn on boost pump and observe any fuel leakage at the hose you disconnected. It should be no more then a drip every second or so. No steady steam, no matter how small. If just a drip, drip, drip or less, the problem is likely the flow divider. If more the drip, drip, drip, the problem is the mixture plates in the servo or the mixture control rigging.
Also, if you should have a manual auxiliary primer system , installed for some reason, you should also disconnect that, and run and shut down the engine, to make sure it isn?t allowing fuel to the engine during the shut down operation and causing the run on situation.
Adjusting the idle mixture way lean, as you have done, may help with the shut down, if there is something else wrong, but it will also make the engine hesitate, cough or maybe even quit on aggressive throttle application. Not the best situation. Generally speaking, an idle mixture either a bit rich or lean at idle shouldn't have any effect on shut down capabilities of the engine, if everything else is working as it's supposed to.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

The only time I have had a backfire (or afterfire not sure which) I had a loose induction tube. It was loose at the head.

Joe Hine
RV4 C-FYTQ