Hey all,
After reading Scott Schmit's write-up on flying in the backcountry with his RV-10, I thought I would ask about everyone's experience flying RVs in the backcountry. Most of the planes you all have built are so beautiful that I'd understand if you'd never want to land them on a soft, gravel field, but for those of you who have, how do the RVs handle? I'm not really interested in nose-wheel soft field issues or stuff like that, but I'm wondering how an RV does when heavily loaded, with a short field, on a hot day at a high altitude, soft field airport - conditions that put any airplane to the test.

Other than the low wing (any even then) it seems like if you're willing to put some gravel on your belly, they might make perfectly good backcountry planes, considering their low weight and high power to weight ratio.

Backcountry = outback?

Guys,

Ive been a lurker here for the last few years learning all about RV's in general. Although I imported a great RV4 160hp fixed pitch ( found it on this site)from the US about 18 months ago, I now believe I have enough experience with my RV to comment here but I sure acknowledge that I have more to learn.

I have had the delight to fly the RV4 around areas of Western Australia that might be seen as the equivalent of your back country. Typicaly the airstrips are 350 to 750m long, dirt or gravel at best and one 300m with 18deg slope.
Although I generaly operate from strips that are at less than 2000' AMSL, the density altitude more than makes up for it because of the high temps i.e earlier this year I was flying at 8500' AMSL and it was still 39 deg C (103deg F in your language) and 45+deg C at airfield elevation!
I am generaly carrying close to full fuel, and operating at close to max AUW but always with in the aft Cof G limit.

Ive been flying in Australia for 30+ years both fixed and rotarywing and have found the RV series of homebuilts the best compromise for short field and high cruise speed. Take off the wheelspats and I am happy to go into any dirtstrips, roads or paddocks ( that comment only relates to tailwheel RV's by the way). Chipped paint and props is the only down side.

It has great slow speed handling and a good climb rate for tight small strips and cruises at 170kts - fantastic performance for the dollar.

My advice is dont be afraid of taking your RV into short strips as long as you have reasonable short field and dirt practice. Go and get some bush practice in a Super Cub or Maule with good instructor and then progressivly explore the RV's envelope and capability. You will be presently suprised.

Thanks for the chance to contribute,

Adrian:p;)

Two Rocks
Western Australia

RV4, Lonestar Helo and a few gyroplanes for chasing stock

Last edited:
Great stuff, Adrian...

Guys,

........My advice is dont be afraid of taking your RV into short strips as long as you have reasonable short field and dirt practice. Go and get some bush practice in a Super Cub or Maule with good instructor and then progressivly explore the RV's envelope and capability. You will be presently suprised.

Thanks for the chance to contribute,

Adrian:p;)

Two Rocks
Western Australia

RV4, Lonestar Helo and a few gyroplanes for chasing stock

.......and this tidbit of very good advice.

Welcome,

Having just moved to North Idaho, I recently heard a story about damage from a backcountry strip. I've met the Pilot/owner but didn't here the story from him.

The RV-6 had landed at a backcountry strip and was now taking off. As he accelerated, one of the wheel pants hit something on the runway and "shattered". Parts of said wheel pant flew up and punctured the fuel tank, spewing fuel out at an amazing rate. The pilot switched tanks and flew to the closest paved runway where he inspected the damage.

He was able to fly home on the undamaged fuel tank but the plane hasn't flown since.

I intend to do some backcountry flying but will be very careful when picking my destinations. I don't want to "re-learn" this lesson.

Karl

Now in Sandpoint, ID. :)

Mad Max

N916k,

If your comment refers to Mad Max, no I wasnt involved in that one but it was one of the things that got me interested in gyroplanes in the first place.

For those of you interested in real outback flying with a gyro I suggest you visit youtube and watch some of the video's taken of a good mate of mine "Birdy" who owns a large cattle station in the Northern Territory of Australia.

RV8N,

Your comment about the damage from wheel spats is spot on.
Although I lose about 5knots at WOT when I remove them its just too dangerous to leave them on when operating into rough strips.

Pierre,

Thanks for the welcome, I always read your posts with interest, anyone that flys an Air Tractor around the skys knows a thing or two about low level ops in and out of short dirt strips.

Thanks,

Adrian:)

Adrian - thanks for the comments. How do you think an -7 would look with tundra tires?

I'm happy with your response. I've heard of RV'ers being very happy with the performance out of high, hot airstrips, but the ones I've talked to have only done paved strips. Curious if you have any thoughts on the following:

It seems that the RV does have a great rate of climb, but I'm wondering if their angle of climb suffers because they're so (relatively) fast? I guess I doubt it - they're not mach speed or anything - but it's worth a though. When you need to climb over an obstacle, your angle of climb is going to be more important than your rate, even though they might go hand in hand.

Do engine temps get too hot at high altitude, high temperature, WOT and Vx?

Not that I'd do it, but check out this img I lifted from that thread:

102bwaksvg3.th.jpg

Too frickin' cool.

It almost looks photoshopped!