Russ McCutcheon

Well Known Member
Dumb question, I think I know what the answer is for me, I would not fly with out a Back up pump that will operate the engine in the event of an engine driven pump failure. My buddy is installing an ECI engine in his RV with Fuel injection and right now he is about ready to fly and I find he has not installed a back up pump, at my urging he is rethinking this choice. So what is the ?fleet? doing, are we all flying with a back up or are there some that don?t? I don?t think I have been in an RV that had no back up pump. By Back up I mean a pump that is appropriate to operate the engine on if the engine driven pump fails!

Everybody builds their own airplane. I would have to ask "How are you going to prime this FI engine before you crank it?"

It's even more important than just being a backup to the mechanical pump..especially if using mogas. You simply cannot aford to assume the mechanical pump will not vapour lock under certain conditions. I would go as far as to say the mechanical pump is more like a backup to the boost pump.

Am I slightly biased? Yup...the mech pump setup is hydraulically flawed and I don't have one...:)

Frank

Cold start

The backup factor not withstanding, a cold start is going to be very difficult.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

More like full power on a hot day running mogas and the mech pump VLs on take off and your engine quits....would sure spoil my day!