Rearseat fiberglass

Yes, but it is an example of what to NOT do(don't trim too close until after checking the fit a few times). Maybe there are some award winners out there that can post a good photo.

Seat Back-Canopy Handle Clearance

randylervold said:
Note that I had to relieve the left side a bit to clear the canopy handle when moving the back seatback forward.

I saw this on Randy's site during my construction and made a mental note of it. Of course, with my memory, I forgot all about it until I had my seat back finished and painted. Not wanting to ruin what turned out to be a fairly nice looking fiberglass job or make it look asymmetric, I cut the canopy latch apart, shortened the U-shaped handle and welded it back on. Of course, I can't remember how much I had to cut off (I think it was about a half inch), but it doesn't seem to interfere with its operation.

Canopy latch

I cut the canopy latch apart, shortened the U-shaped handle and welded it back on.
I did this too. I got this tip from Danny King - worked great! (click on the photo for a bit more info and a couple of more pics)

Last edited:
Seat Back Pics

I didn't think I had any pictures of mine, but I found a couple. The first one shows the final trim line. One of the problems in determining where to trim is that to make a really nice looking job like Mickey's, you need to describe continuously changing radius. Mine is a little cruder. I just took a string and a sharpie and found a single radius that gave me the proper clearance below the seat belt slots and still met the vertical lines coming up from the seat back sides at a reasonable spot. The transition is kind of abrupt but I didn't think it was too objectionable.

The second picture shows the reinforcements I added to the back sides of the seat back. It seemed to me that the ones called for in the plans were a little skimpy. It looked to me like the fiberglass portion would have to support to majority of the seat back load and since most of my friends are on the hefty side, I wanted a little more support here. So I epoxied and riveted on a longer, thicker doubler.

Reinforcements

The second picture shows the reinforcements I added to the back sides of the seat back. It seemed to me that the ones called for in the plans were a little skimpy. It looked to me like the fiberglass portion would have to support to majority of the seat back load and since most of my friends are on the hefty side, I wanted a little more support here. So I epoxied and riveted on a longer, thicker doubler.
That's a good idea! I wish I had thought of it before I did mine. If you don't mind, I'd like to add that tip and photo to my website, for my next RV8!