CDBridgesRV7A

I'm getting ready to back rivet my rudder stiffners to the skin. I just practised on 5 rivets on a piece of the stiffner that I had cut off. How to you stop the back rivet set from marring the stiffners when placing the rivet? I understand about using rivet tape on the flush head side, but what about on the shop head side? is there anything you can do, or is it just a matter of re-priming once the back rivets are set?

As always, thanks for the help!

Cheers

Chris

BAck Riveting

I'm not sure what kind of back rivet set you are using, I used one of these:
http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RSB35
I primered my parts before riveting and had no issues with the back riveting set marring the stiffeners. The collar that contacts the stiffener is plastic. The actual rivet set is steel but this should only contact the rivet being driven. I strongly recommend riveter's tape on the manufactured head, both to keep the rivets in place during back riveting, and also to prevent scuffing the alclad when driving the normal way. When I finished the back riveting, I dipped a Q-tip in primer and placed a drop on the shop heads.

I have a set with a nylon guide and one with an aluminum guide. I used the aluminum one once and never again. If that's what you have I would switch to the delrin or nylon one.