RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I bought my back-rivet set from Plane tools. I am now ready to rivet the rudder stiffeners but the nylon collar on my back rivet set does not allow the head of the set to hit the rivet square. Anyone with a set from Avery or Cleavland know if they do the same thing. I am trying to decide if I need to sand down the nylon collar so that the rivet set will hit square or buy one that is narrow. The vertical part of the stiffener is what interferes with the nylon collar. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Last edited:
modifications

I ground a flat on the side of the nylon collar on my ATS brand back rivet set so it would be centered over the rivets.
Steve

I had the same issue. I ended up using the 12" set and holding the plastic against the surface with my hand, and got acceptable results. If I was going to do it over, though, I'd either grind down a side or buy one that's flat on one side.

ditto on grinding it

I also ground the side of the nylon collar of mine flat, and use it all the time, no problems. Just be careful grinding it that you don't split it... use a scotchbright deburring wheel, not too much pressure, a bit at a time until it's enough.

I have the same backset from Plane Tools, and ground down a flat side, about half the original thickness of the nylon. Has worked fine ever since.

greg

FYI new builders

I have the same backset from Plane Tools, and ground down a flat side, about half the original thickness of the nylon. Has worked fine ever since.

greg

I ground down the nylon collar, hopefully this will help. I measured the Plane Tools collar and it has a approx. 3/8" dia. The Cleveland Tools advertises a 1/2" dia set, which looks about right. Avery does not list the diameter for their set but from the picture is looks smaller than the Plane tools set. Knowing Avery their set is most likely made to work with the stiffeners as well. You don't know what you don't know.

When I ground down the set I added a little radius at the bottom to match the inside of the stiffeners. Thanks for the help. grounding down the set I have seemed a better idea than waiting for new tools in the mail and it was easy on the Scotch Brite wheel.

Cheers

You will find that there are times when you need to modify your tools to do the job you want. As most of the previous posters, I too ground down the nylon collar to fit the job at hand. I also bought an offset back rivet tool when I did the wings. I forget which one, but for one job I removed the collar and springs altogether.

Bucking bars are another place where mods are common, at least for me :)