AV8AZ

While back riveting on a bench and the plate is hidden by the part, there is the risk of misjudging the location of the plate and striking a rivet off the plate.

Has anyone tried something like using a narrow-beam light source fixed above the bench aimed at the plate? This would illuminate the area on the part being worked under which the plate is located. If neither the light source or bench moved, this would seem to be a reliable way to not "miss" the plate.

Are there other more simple solutions to reduce the risk of this happening?

Sounds like a good idea to me; yes, I did drive a couple of rivets off the side of the back rivet plate. Luckily, in my case, it was survivable.

On my back riveting table I projected out the 4 corners of the steel plate'. That made it easy to see that I was inside the back rivet plate surface ...

Welcome to VAF!

Tyson, welcome to the good ship VAF:D

Interesting idea of using lights--------I just used a really big back rivet plate, and ran blue masking tape lines to show the borders of the plate.

I think your light idea may be a better solution if it is done right.

Good to have you aboard.

If you look up the U tube videos that Cleveland tools recently started, they show using a crossed set of laser pointer lines to help find the die when dimpling large sheets with a C frame or drdt. I think you could apply the same gizmo to a backrivet bench.