wirejock

Well Known Member
What a strange three months. I'm finally back in the shop working on Lucy. It was only 1 1/2 hours but still gets the hobbs meter turning again. I didn't post earlier because so many others have bigger problems. I'm just happy go get back in the shop.

So we planned a vacation to visit the kids and grandkids and left a couple days before Halloween. We had a wonderful time but spent one week working on my Tabitha (Tracker). She dropped a timing chain and it took some time for me to fix her. We got home on schedule Dec 8 and set up Christmas decorations. I was ready to start working again. Then the weird part started. Dec 11.

Going to the shed for boxes, I slipped on ice off the stairs and landed on the driveway. Both bones in the lower leg broken. I've broken bones before so I knew as soon as I hit what was wrong. Sweetie heard me yelling and brought me a shovel to use as a crutch. She got me to ER. They were so wonderful and splinted it to keep it stable.

Thankfully we have a new Orthopedic Surgeon who happened to be on duty. Later that day, he put in a titanium pin from the knee to the ankle with screws holding it at the top and bottom and sent me home the next day. The following week, he put me in a boot and told me I could start walking with crutches.

All is healing well. In fact I ditched the crutches a week early after week two. Doctor gave me a high five for my progress.

Today was the first day I felt I could walk around working and standing in the shop. It was so nice. It only lasted a short time before I had to get off the leg, but I'm going back in a little longer tomorrow.

The Hobbs is turning on Lucy again! :D

s4z49y.jpg

Last edited:
WElcome Back!

Glad to hear you are back in the shop making progress Larry ? you know that ALL progress is GOOD progress. :D Praying for a continued speedy recovery!

...he put in a titanium pin from the knee to the ankle with screws holding it at the top and bottom and sent me home the next day.
Personally I'd have used AN3's and nylocks since it is aft of the firewall. Did he sign off your log book? :)

Great to hear Larry. I hate those unplanned maintenance cycles. All kidding aside you're lucky. Some people hit their heads in ice slip ups and it goes downhill fast after that.

Get Well, Larry.

Glad to see you're back at it. I'd say come on down and visit, but seeing you live in beautiful Estes Park, perhaps I should come up and visit! :D

visit

Glad to see you're back at it. I'd say come on down and visit, but seeing you live in beautiful Estes Park, perhaps I should come up and visit! :D

Come on up. We love to entertain. My Sweetie is one serious Mexican food cook!

Thanks everyone

Love the Logbook idea Gil!

Larry,

Glad to see you're back working on your project. The stage your at, your boot shouldn't impact you too much other than fatigue. It took me several weeks to build up my endurance to stand on concrete for long periods of time.

I had an achilles tendon repair last year and between the cast and the boot, it was an interesting experience attempting to finish my RV-10. I had just painted the RV-10 and was starting final assembly. Unfortunately for me, most of my activities were in the cockpit. It was just too difficult to climb in and out with the boot on.

Since you're in Texas, you won't have the hassles of dealing with the snow like I did, but one thing I found worked well. Tape a trash bag around the boot and it will keep aluminum filings out of the boot. The velcro is like a aluminum magnet and you'll be tracking them through your house otherwise.

I hope your recovery continues to be a speedy one.

bob

Good point about standing on concrete. I get worn out with that. I bought several packages of those interlocking foam floor pads at Lowe's aircraft store. I have most of my floor working area covered and it makes a huge difference on my feet and legs. My father-in-law helps and he's 85 this year. It helps us both a lot!

Bob

Since you're in Texas, you won't have the hassles of dealing with the snow like I did, but one thing I found worked well. Tape a trash bag around the boot and it will keep aluminum filings out of the boot. The velcro is like a aluminum magnet and you'll be tracking them through your house otherwise.

I hope your recovery continues to be a speedy one.

bob

Thanks Bob
Actually, the project is in Estes Park, Co so I do have to deal with snow but I really like the bag idea. I too have lots of pads for standing.