Kevin Horton

Well Known Member
Terry and I got home a few minutes ago, after a much longer and more complicated day than expected. We left Oshkosh shortly after 9 this morning, and did a very short flight to Green Bay to get fuel, fill out an electronic EAPIS form to keep US Customs happy, and file IFR flight plans. Next stop was Sault Ste Marie, MI for lunch and to phone Canada Customs. Things were going well until just after we passed overhead North Bay, when the engine developed a new vibration. It wasn't a strong vibration, but it was strong enough so you knew it wasn't just your imagination, not like those mysterious vibrations that appear whenever you are over water. I started going through the various pages of the engine monitor, looking for anything abnormal. As I was doing that, I got a warning from the engine monitor that the "EGT Spread" was high. Sure enough, I saw that the #3 EGT was falling.

The engine was still producing good power, but something was clearly wrong, so I told Toronto Centre that we had an engine anomaly and wanted to divert to North Bay. They were very accommodating, and gave us clearance for an immediate left turn to north, followed quickly by clearance direct to North Bay and descent. I was already well within gliding range of North Bay, and I saw the airport, so I wasn't too worried. The engine kept running, but it was afterfiring (popping) once in a while. I did a 360 degree overhead arrival into North Bay, keeping well within gliding distance the whole way, and landed about 2500 ft down the 10,000 ft long runway.

There was no big pool of oil after shutdown, which was a good sign. I pulled the tool kit out of the front baggage compartment, and removed the cowling. The problem was immediately obvious - the #3 exhaust pipe had broken at the weld where the exhaust pipe attaches to the flange that bolts to the cylinder, so the pipe was completely free of the cylinder.

I couldn't arrange hangar space easily, late on Friday afternoon on a long weekend, and it was looking bad for a rental car, but we eventually got one. We pulled our gear from the aircraft, tied it down, and hit the road.

I'll see if I can contact Larry Vetterman today. Hopefully these exhaust systems are made from interchangeable parts, the design hasn't changed since my exhaust system, and he has the top piece for #3 cylinder in stock. If I can get one here by mid week I may be looking for a ride to North Bay sometime soon (I've got a coworker with a C172 who is looking for excuses to go flying, so I may have the ride part sorted out already). If Larry can't quickly supply an exhaust system part quickly, I'd be interested in acquiring the top part of #3 cylinder from any local builder who has an RV-8 with IO-360-A series engine. I'd buy you a new part as soon as I could get it from Larry.

If I can't get this sorted out quickly, I'll be looking for hangar space in North Bay, hopefully at a reasonable price. Does anyone have any leads on who I should call?

Last edited:
Well.....

It's not all bad...gives us all a place to look closer at when the cowl is off!

Thanks for the post - good luck.

If the flange just broke free from the pipe, can you just pull it and take it to a local exhaust shop to have it welded back up?

Hangar

You might try Voyageur Airways for hangar space.
I used to fly for them about 20 years ago. Good company.
--------------------

Maintenance & Engineering / Special Mission Aircraft
Jeff Cooke
Vice President, Maintenance & Engineering
Tel: +1 705 476 1750 ext. 265
[email protected]

If the flange just broke free from the pipe, can you just pull it and take it to a local exhaust shop to have it welded back up?
Yeah, that is a possibility to get me home, if I knew a shop in North Bay with a good welder. He would need to get the flange back on at the correct angle.

You might try Voyageur Airways for hangar space.
I used to fly for them about 20 years ago. Good company.
--------------------

Maintenance & Engineering / Special Mission Aircraft
Jeff Cooke
Vice President, Maintenance & Engineering
Tel: +1 705 476 1750 ext. 265
[email protected]
Thank you very much for the lead. I'll contact them on Tuesday if it looks like I'm going to have problems getting the aircraft back home soon.

Good luck Kevin, glad it was a "good" problem and you are safe. Bolting on new parts is easier when you are on the ground.

Keep us informed.

Surely there has to be someone around with a tig welder. A few years ago had a guy stop into our airport with a broken exhaust pipe. He walked into my hangar with his pipes in hand and asked if I knew anyone who could fix it. I pointed out my tig welder in the corner and had the broken pipe repaired in 10 minutes. He's still flying with the same repair and always stops in now for gas here to say hi.

Parts Alignment

snipped He would need to get the flange back on at the correct angle.
snipped

Kevin,
It is best to give the welder a pair of "reference" lines. Before removing the flange, remount the pipe, so that it is back in it's correct position. Now draw a parallel line on the flange and the pipe to denote orientation. Repeat this in several more spots. A marker pen or similar should be used. The welder can use these marks to ensure that he has the parts in proper alignment before he starts welding.
The ideal situation would be to have him place a few "tack" welds with the pipe in position on your engine, then remove the pipe/flange to finish the weld. I'm not sure if this would be practical to do, either due to fuel lines or lack of space.
Charlie

Back Home

The aircraft is back home safely in its hangar.

RV-9A builder Hal contacted me last weekend, saying that he had a friend in North Bay whose hangar was empty for a few days. His friend, Armand, was on the road with his aircraft, but Armand told me how to get in his hangar. Tuesday evening local RV-9A builder/flyer Alfio flew me to North Bay and back so I could move the aircraft into the hangar. That let me stop worrying about thunderstorms.

Wednesday evening I drove to Carp and picked up a loaner exhaust system from Mark, whose RV-8 is still not repaired after his hangar door blew in and damaged it.

Friday evening Terry and I drove to North Bay and spent the night. Saturday morning I traded out the exhaust system and flew back to Smiths Falls. Terry drove to Smiths Falls solo to pick me up.

Today I'll box up my exhaust system and send it back to Larry Vetterman for repair and upgrade to the latest configuration. He has developed many improvements since mine was made over 10 years ago, and I want the increased robustness that the newer systems have.

Thanks to everyone who helped over the last 10 days - Hal, Armand, Alfio, Mark and Terry especially!

Flying GA can be an "adventure". Glad you and home safe and sound Kevin, I wish I was closer to help.