hi all
i'm sorry if this has been asked before, i've spent ages googling it and haven't been successful, i'm wondering whether BAC rivets are equivalent to AN and if so where i can find some kind of equivalency chart, i can access BAC rivets more easily than AN rivets.

thanks

For a certain big airplane manufacturer, BACR15BA*AD*C rivets supercede MS20426*AD* (AN426*AD*) countersunk rivets.

BACR15BB*AD*C supercede MS20470*AD* (AN470*AD*) universal head rivets.

I know Boeing uses a lot of Briles rivets, these are not interchangable with AN rivets and I don't believe they are even available in the -3 size. Briles requires special countersinking tools (Boeing does not dimple).

There are also standard AN rivets with B numbers, but I do not have that info available.

Boeing rivet part numbers

Hi Taran

Kurt is on the money with the conversion of BAC rivet part numbers. The best way to compare a BAC rivet part number is the material code for the rivet, for what your building you need to only worry about the AD or D rivets. D rivets are a bit harder than the AD rivet and made out of a slightly different alloy, from memory I think it's 2017. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivet for more info on rivet materials.

Basically a BAC rivet is the same as a MS or AN rivet, just a different part number system.

I'll try to give you a break down on the rivet part number for a typical Boeing rivet part number for an AD rivet BACR15BB4AD5 Hope this helps decipher the Boeing part number system

BAC = Boeing Aircraft Corporation
R15 = rivet designation
BB = Uni head
BA = CSK head
4 Rivet dia 1/8th 5 = 5/32, 6 = 3/16, 8 = 1/4 rivet dia is measured in 1/32nds
AD = Rivet material Also comes in D, DD, B, A,
5 = is the rivet length measured in 1/16ths

The Brile rivet is a new generation design of rivet, It superceds the old style of rivet we are used to using. I think the smallest Brile revet you can get is a 5/32 dia.. I could chew the fat on rivets for hours..

Cheers,

BAC/AN equivelants

I manage skin replacement modifications for Boeing aircraft at a large facility in N.C., so I am exposed to this every day. BAC is actually getting away from using "their" rivet designations, and AN rivets are definately equivelant. The important factor is the alloy, so for the VANS aircraft, they will always be "AD" rivets. Boeing uses 95% "D" rivets, which are a bit harder. If you have BACR15***AD* rivets, your good to go. Briles rivets are common to some of the 757/767 Boeings, and are 120 degree countersink, with a 0 degree counterbore also...they are not at all compatable with any VANS construction and require specialized tooling and thicker skins...short of a 3 page document, I have said enough about them. Boeing also uses a reduced head flush rivet, the BACR15CE*AD*, or MS1097 style head. You will not use these as a replacement on an RV. The Boeing structural repair manuals for all types, in chapter 51 will have the equivelancy charts. I cannot post one because of proprietary legality. Google it and you may find it..Send a PM if you need more detail.

thanks for the help everyone, this has helped me greatly, next chance i get i'll have a breeze through the boeing srm,

thanks