N62XS

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed a B & C Starter with a Sam James Cowl. I remember seeing one at SNF that required a "bump" to accomodate the starter. As always, thanks for any input.

Should work

I think you are confused, may be? First the only real clearance problem I have heard of ever, even with stock cowls is with the alternator pulley. I guess its possible but that is not possible. The alternator is usually the challenge.

As far as starters, the B&C (and SkyTec HT model) should provide the most clearance of any starter you can buy. Skytec HT model is just like the B&C and cheaper. Both of these models have a cantilevered gear and give the most clearance. The only thing sticking out is the gear that engages the ring gear. However you should not needed a B&C or HT starter to clear.

The less expensive PM SkyTec flyweight starter has "nose" on the front of the case, past the gear, so it would be closer to the cowl. However I have not heard of even this starter hitting, which does stick out further than the B&C or the SkyTec HT model.

The bump is for alternator pulleys. You see that on stock cowls, but even then you should NOT have a problem unless you use a real large pulley/alternator or don't adjust the alternator to use the smallest belt possible. By keeping the alternator tight to the engine, you some times have to modify the tension arm to get a tight fit. Also getting belts that are to big will cause a problem. If you have an alternator clearance problem, it is usually from not setting the alternator up properly.

Don't worry about the starter. Best value go with the SkyTec Flyweight followed by the Skytec HT. B&C is OK but over priced. George

Last edited: