Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
OK Doug, your review of the Brietlign B-1 has me once again wanting that watch - I thought I'd put that urge to bed when I started spending all my money on airplane parts! Had to settle for a Citizen Eco-Drive SkyHawk (hey, I set it to Mission Control time last August, and it is still within 5 seconds!).

But hey, if I have any money left after Grady paints the -8, well....do you think you can get us a REALLY GOOD discount on a group buy? :D

How about a "special edition VAF band?" :p

Paul

My experience as a Breitling owner hasn't exactly been the best.

Here's what they don't tell you when you purchase a Breitling. I'm sure some of this applies to other high end brands.

1) You must get the watch serviced (every two years in my case) at the US distributor or the warranty is void.

2) A biannual "service" costs a couple hundred bucks.

3) The biannual service takes 4-6 weeks.

It can be done.....

Great review of the watch Doug. I know several people who fly with them and love them.

Paul, a group buy is possible from Breitling. When I was active duty AF, the AWACS community wanted to get our Breitling made. In fact lots of squadrons were getting them a few years ago. If I remember correctly, you had to have 50 people sign up/put down a deposit for the watch. The price would be established after you had 50 people committed and Breightling had the artwork you wanted on the watch. We were shooting for simply an AWACS rotodome on the face, problem was no one could ever come to a consensus on the watch style to make it happen. :mad: Couple that with everyone rotating in and out of country all the time and interest was lost.

Point is, it can be done if someone were to work as the intermediary with Breitling and more than 50 people were willing to buy a $1K watch.

Mikey

TTU_RV7 said:
If I remember correctly, you had to have 50 people sign up/put down a deposit for the watch.

You are correct. US Naval Test Pilot School orders Breitling watches every year and we are required to order a min of 50. I did not purchase one after graduation due to the fact that the watch cost as much as a -8 tail kit :eek:

Thanks Paul. Cool watch to review (link).

You guys are absolutely right, watches are one of those topics where opinions run the complete scale (like primers and NW vs. TW) ;) .

Kyle, I feel your maintainence pain. I own a '72 Omega Speedmaster that costs ~$400 every five years for a complete overhaul. This 34 yr old watch comes back looking and running brand new, which is pretty cool (to me).

I've been in posession of this (B-1) watch for one week now - it has not gained/lost one second (I use the free 'Dimension 4' atomic clock time sync software on my PC). Not the case with any of the mechanicals I've ever owned (they usually loose/gain 15 seconds a day).

I wish the B-1 was bigger :D.

This watch rocks (but it's expensive to own). So is my RV :) .

BTW, I'll email Jamie at Feldwatch to discuss a group purchase option. You never know...

Best,

Last edited:
I've owned a Breitling Chrono-Cockpit for about two years now. It's a fabulous watch and like anything that complex, requires an occasional tune-up and cleaning. I intend to pass this on to my son eventually. It should last both our lifetimes.

I have a Breitling Old Navitimer. Great watch. I had it serviced about a year ago for the first time since I've had it about 8 years. It cost about $400 and it took the almost 6 months. And Breitling USA is located nearby. About a month ago, only a year after service, it started slowing down and then stopping. SInce I need my cash for my -8, I guess the watch will have to wait for a while to get fixed.

Breitling used to send chocolate to all their owners each Christmas along with a new catalog.

I used to want a Breitling Titanium... but I'm over it. They're just too expensive for me; a $35 Timex from Target does just fine. Maintenance and upkeep? How about 5 bucks for a new battery say every 9-10 years; not too shabby! My current one is 6 yrs old, going fine, the one before that is almost 12 yrs old. It's now the dashboard clock on my motorcycle... had to replace the factory battery on that one a year or two ago. Will the expenses never end on that thing?? lol

jbDC9 said:
I used to want a Breitling Titanium... but I'm over it. They're just too expensive for me; a $35 Timex from Target does just fine. Maintenance and upkeep? How about 5 bucks for a new battery say every 9-10 years; not too shabby! My current one is 6 yrs old, going fine, the one before that is almost 12 yrs old. It's now the dashboard clock on my motorcycle... had to replace the factory battery on that one a year or two ago. Will the expenses never end on that thing?? lol

I have an old G-shock that I got somewhere around 1986, or so (not sure exactly when, but I know I had it before I started high school...I graduated in 91). So when I got to high school, I set the alarm for 2 minutes before homeroom. Sometime before I finished high school, I threw the watch in a drawer, or a box or something.

Fast forward almost 20 years, I'm in the middle of a move, and there's this small box that's been following me around for 10 years (never opened, always sits in the attic...just junk, mostly). Darn thing starts beeping. Open it up and sure enough it's my old G-Shock telling me I've got 2 minutes...

I don't wear it, it's ratty, and I'm going to throw it out but I'm just curious how long it'll last (it's still going strong, albeit the display looks a little weak these days).

edit: in the interest of full disclosure, the time is nowhere near accurate anymore...it's drifted by several hours

Last edited:
Doug,
Where are you getting your Speedmaster overhauled? I was not thrilled with the result I got the last time mine was done, and it's about due again.

William Slaughter

William Slaughter said:
Doug,
Where are you getting your Speedmaster overhauled? William Slaughter
Bill, I'll get that info to you tomorrow (I have the contact info up at the 'day job' office).

B,
d

B1 or Navihawk

As much as I would like the B1 I had to follow the 80 / 20 rule. I found the Citizen Navihawk to have most of the functionality of the B1 for only ~$200. I really like the way you can switch time zones as you travel from the digital to the analog clock. My main complaint is that the crystal scratches easily. I guess I can always buy another one for less than the maintenance fee on the B1. I have had this for 5 years with no issues.

John

p.s. I dive with it too.

(Omega info for Bill Slaughter)

Bill, here is the contact info I promised for Omega watch service intervals. He's the guy who last serviced my '72 Speedy.

Office Alpha office building
TIMETech - 972-644-1774
Kevin Monaghan
13140 Coit (intersection of Coit/Alpha and LBJ) (2nd stop sign) Suite 519

Appreciation

I understand. Why have an expensive watch when Timex will work?

http://bjsonline.com/watches/articles/images/0016/16570WT.jpg
http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/images/dwellerbracelet1.jpg

I wear my Rolex Explorer II almost everyday for 12 years. Its a totally practical daily watch. 24 hour hand plus you can change the small 12 hour hand without stopping the watch or changing the 24 hour had. Great for travel.

In 12 years I've owned it, its appreciated $1,500. New, they go for $4150.00. Rolex has tight price control, but you can buy them used(I mean pre-owned) from authorized Rolex dealers for about $500-$700 under new.

How many things do you own that appreciates. A Rolex is something you can hand down to your kids, a Timex not so much.

Yes its a self winding mechanical; If you don't wear it or wind it will stop after a few days. For $100 you can buy a watch winder, a storage case that moves so it stays wound when not wearing it. Adjusted properly and kept wound they keep amazing time considering it is a bunch of gears and springs.

Accuracy: A good cheap quartz digital is 3-30 seconds a month. A Modern mechanical watch chronometer certified is good for about 30-90 seconds a month. Mine is less than a minute a month. (Note: how you lay a mechanical watch down when not wearing it affects it gaining or losing time I am told, so on average a mechanical gaining and loosing time can be very accurate over a year, compared to a quartz that just keeps gaining time for example.)

Pulling the stem out fully stops the second hand, so you can "sync" it. I have access to a HF radio that sends UTC time every minite as a refrence. Bottom line time keeping is very good, despite the rumors. If it is not keeping time there is something wrong.

Overhaul: Rolex recommends overhaul every 5 years. A Rolex watch maker told me don't mess with it until it needs something. He's opened up 50 year old Rolex'es that are fine. In 12 years of heavy use my sapphire crystal has NO scratches and the solid SS case/band have a few scuffs. When overhauled they bring it back to new. The "Oyster" case made from solid stainless is built like a tank.

Yea its just a watch, but it is a piece of art. It is not throw a way. It has a soul; its the ultimate miniature analog mechanical machine. It predates transistors. Collecting watches is a hobby for some, others wear them as fashion jewelry or a fashion statement. To me its a practical tool that works perfect at work (flying in 10 time zones). The fact that it appreciates or a status symbol is not important to me. If you are not into mechanical watches, a Timex is good enough, than you will just not get the enjoyment of owning a fine watch.

If you want a watch that will last longer than you, is tuned to chronometer accuracy (and most importantly, stays that way), can be restored to new condition anywhere in the world by factory service centers, then Rolex is your watch.

George

Last edited:
Doug, how's the Group Buy coming along?

I've been waiting for the big announcement! For once my wife likes one of my "expensive" buying wims so I'm a wait'n for it. She's been wanting to get me a watch for a few years now but like a lot of people I couldn't find the "right" one and this one is close enough so let's go! :)

Lucky

Oops,

I dropped the ball on this one :eek: ! I'll email Jamie at Feldmar today and see if he is interested. I can't imagine the 'buy' would need to be for more than 5 watches (if he's game).

BTW, I'm loving this watch more and more. The chronograph is so easy to see in the air (took a pic last weekend - I'll update the review with it). Setting the time, countdown amount, etc are so much easier than I went into on the review. I think my '72 Omega is now on the selling block.:(

B,
D

lucky said:
I've been waiting for the big announcement! For once my wife likes one of my "expensive" buying wims so I'm a wait'n for it. She's been wanting to get me a watch for a few years now but like a lot of people I couldn't find the "right" one and this one is close enough so let's go! :)

Lucky

Last edited:
lucky said:

Lucky

Get one of those big clocks to hang around your neck like that guy Flav-O Flave. You'll get lots of Chicks!

thenhttp://www.vh1realityworld.com/2006/01/04/flavor-of-love-the-scoop-on-smiley/

A chance to do something for the ladies?

Doug,

Not many wives and girlfriends might give a flip about Camlocs or seatbelts, but maybe you could add to this deal by working this group buy to include two watches from the same source; the B1 for the guys, and maybe a really nice ladies watch as well.

Watcha' think?

Hi Big Spenders!

We had a speaker at our EAA meeting some years ago -- a guy (professional pilot and author) that wears TWO watches on ONE band. He bought a couple of Spidel bands with removable links, Presto! One watch on top of the wrist with local time, and one on the bottom with Zulu. Or was it the other way around?? ;) It's just a flick of the wrist away.

Funny no one has mentioned a Casio data bank 150 - has most of the features of the $1K models (NO CHICK MAGNET FEATURE or sweep hands!)PLUS, easy to read date, day of week, a couple timers, stop watch, phone numbers, anniversary dates, BD's, a couple of alarms, calcularor, etc. COST: About $15 at WalMart. Dang! It gains about 30 seconds/month. :mad:

For accuracy, get a wrist atomic clock that sets itself to UTC from a signal from Fort Collins at least daily, sometimes more often if the ionosphere allows it. Around $100.

For flying, I'm happy velcro-ing a Sporty's multi-timer on my panel. Let's see, all tolled up, that gives me about 5 time keepers in the cockpit -- more than I can usually handle. ;) It goes someting like this, "...Let's see, now is that for the tach time or the leg time..?"

Oh, I forgot the one built into the transponder.

Great thread to read about for those with the big $$bucks. Love it!

...My $.01 worth...

Don Gray EAA TC
Cortland, OH
N17QB 7A in progress

Hi Wilem,

I have a call into Jamie @ Feldmar (I believe today is his day off). When I know something I'll reply to this thread.

Best,
Doug

FYI, 20-35% off MSRP is common to get from authorized Breitling retailers. No idea what this particular deal offers, so take this as a data point only.

Breitling Price datapoint

I showed my wife all the purchase details so I'll see what happens. But I took a peak at the military's online store and to my surprise they had two versions of this watch for sale.

BREITLING Men's B-1 Multifunction Chronograph w/ Blue Dial
Price...$2,599.00

and

BREITLING Men?s B-1 Date Chronometer
Price...$2,669.00 with details below

Specifically tailored to the world of aviation, this sophisticated instrument has all the most desired functions: alarm, perpetual calendar, chronograph split and add functions, countdown timer, second time zone with alarm and UTC time. Optimal time readout is ensured by oversized hands and nighttime backlighting, which is NVG-compatible (night-vision goggle).

MODEL: A7836238/F508

Stainless steel bracelet
Glare-proof sapphire crystal
Water-resistant to 166 ft.
Chronometer-certified by the COSC
Dial Color: Slate Gray

Founded in 1884, Breitling has been the choice of military aviation professionals, particularly national flying teams.

BREITLING is a veteran among aeronautical instruments. Made in Switzerland, this sophisticated instrument vividly illustrates the path Breitling has chosen, one of consistency of direction, characterized by technology and innovation, tradition and commitment to military forces. A will to improve, embellish and enrich classical chronographs goes hand in hand with a determination to launch genuine innovations.

What is a chronometer? A chronograph is not necessarily chronometer-certified, but all Breitling chronographs bear the much sought-after title of chronometer. A chronometer is a timepiece with high-precision movement that has successfully undergone the entire series of COSC tests. Each movement is tested over 15 days and 14 nights, in five positions and at three different temperatures, while being subjected to extremely trying conditions. A mechanical movement must display a "variation of rate" of less than -4/+6 sec. per day, meaning 99.99% precision, the highest level a mechanical movement can attain.

FREE SHIPPING on all orders purchased with your Military Star Card or orders totaling $49 or more. Non-Military Star Card purchases valued less than $49 will incur a $4.95 shipping fee. Shipping/handling fees may be applied to oversized items.