yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
After setting the axle torque by MATCO's directions the seal doesn't move but the wheel doesn't want to either. It takes a good pull to turn the wheel and as soon as I remove my hand it stops-- no "spin" at all. If I back off one flat the seal turns with the wheel. For those who are flying, is this normal and does the wheel free up or do I need to trim the seal per MATCO's directions.

Per MATCO, the axle cotter pin is .125" by 2". The cad-plated pins I purchased from Spuce are visually bthihcked than the shiny pins supplied with the wheel and the new ones are VERY difficult (near impossible) to get through the axle holes. Thoughs/ soruces for thinner pins.

Thanks

Wayne 120241/143WM

After setting the axle torque by MATCO's directions the seal doesn't move but the wheel doesn't want to either. It takes a good pull to turn the wheel and as soon as I remove my hand it stops-- no "spin" at all. If I back off one flat the seal turns with the wheel. For those who are flying, is this normal and does the wheel free up or do I need to trim the seal per MATCO's directions.

This topic has been discussed a lot in previous posts. Do a RV-12 forum search!! (Matco). I followed the MATCO instructions as did others even though the wheel does not spin free as you would expect, as with an auto wheel bearing.

This bearing is a different design, thus, the MATCO instuctions differ. I recall nothing in the MATCO instructions pertaining to trimming the seal. I also recall that the seal should NOT spin. Maybe others can chime in.

Matco wheels and brakes

Wayne,
I believe the cotter pin is metric 2.5mm x 50mm. Or you can use 3/32" x 2", available at some farm supply stores. It helps to bend a curve into the cotter pin or even shorten it a little. I would tighten the wheel bearing nut as specified in the plans (using Matco's recommendation). Make sure to read the Matco book and orientate the locking washers as illustrated on page 31.
See this thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=46978&highlight=matco
Joe