RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I wonder if anyone knows the axle nut size on the RV-8A main gear. I am near ready to transport to the airport. I have a 16" flat bed trailer but the aluminum axle nuts stick out too far so they will not clear the fenders. The tire width has room to spare. My thought is to buy low profile nuts like the ones that hold the nose wheel fork in place. I just don't know what the size or thread pitch is on these nuts.

If you had issues with a flat bed and moving your airplane I would like to hear your solution. I thought about backing the plane on but that leaves the nose gear hanging off the end.

I will try to call Van's but with the limited help hours they have now I find it difficult to get through sometimes. I am hoping someone has had need of this information and can pass it along.

Cheers

You should be able to pull the gear in enough
with a ratcheting 'come-a long'. I pulled my 7A
rod type gear in about a total of three inches to
clear my single garage door. The 8 gear shouldn't
be that much stiffer.
Tom

interesting idea

I will give this a try and see how it works.

You should be able to pull the gear in enough
with a ratcheting 'come-a long'. I pulled my 7A
rod type gear in about a total of three inches to
clear my single garage door. The 8 gear shouldn't
be that much stiffer.
Tom

where are the moderators?

....anyone else wonder if Mike was really going to get away with asking ' how big are my nuts?' on a family forum? :)

sorry.

had to ask.

i love a good laugh

....anyone else wonder if Mike was really going to get away with asking ' how big are my nuts?' on a family forum? :)

sorry.

had to ask.

Thank you you made my day. In the waiting room while my wife has surgery. It was nice to laugh.

Cheers