rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
If you have tried to find a deep enough socket to tighten the axle nut on one of our planes, forget it; nobody makes one, until now. Plans for the 'RV Axle Nut Installation Tool' will soon be available. If my kit goes sideways, maybe I can hire out as a 'master' tool and die maker!

Axle Nut.jpg

Axle Nut Wrench.jpg

Socket

Here is what I used.

Sunex 240XD 1/2" Drive 1-1/4" Extra Deep Impact Socket

$22.99 on Amazon

Maybe I missing something, from the Beringer manual:

Torque axle nut to contact by hands, do not force. (WARNING)

Maybe I missing something, from the Beringer manual:

Torque axle nut to contact by hands, do not force. (WARNING)

That's what I was thinking. Don't know what is inside a berringer wheel, but I would NEVER tighten an axle nut with tapered roller bearings with anything but my fingers. I wouldn't thing that even a sealed bearing would be tightened, beyond snug, around the inner race in most circumstances with a removable wheel, but admittadly have limited experience with that outside of automotive, which are torqued, but a very different design.

Larry

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. Don't know what is inside a berringer wheel, but I would NEVER tighten an axle nut with tapered roller bearings with anything but my fingers. Even a sealed bearing wouldn't be torqued in most circumstances.

Larry
The Beringer does use roller bearings, but I don't recall them having a center spacer to avoid side loading them like the nose wheel does.

I just spoke to Beringer tech. The axle nut is indeed supposed to be torqued to 220 in-lbs. The bearings are captured inside the hub by snap rings, so they don't know the nut is torqued. The torque is specified simply as a safety measure to assure there is enough 'snugness' to get the cotter pin inserted through the spindle and to provide a standard torque spec for all builders. Finger tight is fine as long as the cotter pin can be inserted.

Too bad, because I was hoping to recoup some of my build costs by selling ANUS (axle nut universal socket) wrenches. :D

Axle Nut Wrench.jpg