RBD

Well Known Member
I sent my Hartzell C/S (HC-2YK-IBF/F7666-4) off last Friday to be overhauled, and learned this afternoon that one of the blades is beyond limits (too thin), the bearings are shot, and there is a fair amount of galling (on the shanks, I think. :confused:) My $1,650 overhaul just got a whole lot more expensive. Anyone have a rough idea of what an overhauled Hartzell goes for? I'm going to the prop shop on Friday to see the prop and discuss my options, but I have a feeing that sinking more money into my AD-affected hub just isn't smart money. I love the performance of the C/S, but a Catto sure is looking good right about now. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
deal

Do I have a deal for you......

I'm putting a Catto Prop on my -3 because I'm running out of prop instead of engine. She spins 2750 rpm on a 320 with 9-1 pistons at 198 mph and still has throttle left to go. The Aymayr Demuth (sp?) prop has 300 hrs on her and no damage....
Lets talk
Best
Brian Wallis

Prop

I sent my Hartzell C/S (HC-2YK-IBF/F7666-4) off last Friday to be overhauled, and learned this afternoon that one of the blades is beyond limits (too thin), the bearings are shot, and there is a fair amount of galling (on the shanks, I think. :confused:) My $1,650 overhaul just got a whole lot more expensive. Anyone have a rough idea of what an overhauled Hartzell goes for? I'm going to the prop shop on Friday to see the prop and discuss my options, but I have a feeing that sinking more money into my AD-affected hub just isn't smart money. I love the performance of the C/S, but a Catto sure is looking good right about now. :(

Edit: From the thread title, I learned that the forum filter doesn't like the four letter "c" word (rhymes with slap) that's synonymous with, but cleaner than, the four letter "s" word.

My A/P buddy with IA authorization says that Hartzell isn't in the prop business; they're in the parts business since almost everything they sell has an AD lurking somewhere.:eek:

Hi Brandon
sorry to hear about your prop, a buddy of mine just got a overhauled hartzell and I think ( don't hold me too it) but I believe he said he paid 3500

Last edited:
Wow! Is this your first overhaul? Was it a new prop? Were the blades already ground down.

I hope this doesn't happen to me - I'm coming up on this date.

Wow! Is this your first overhaul? Was it a new prop? Were the blades already ground down.

I hope this doesn't happen to me - I'm coming up on this date.
I guess a little background helps. :eek: No, the prop has been on the plane since 1991 when it was new (the plane, not the prop.) Based on the entries in the prop log, I cannot tell a TT for the prop. It was sold as an overhauled prop in 1991 and was overhauled again in 2001. The plane has approx 800 hours, so the prop has at least that many spread over 18 years (again, not sure of the history of the prop before it was put on my plane.) Given the time since the last OH, and the fact that the seals were starting to sling a little bit of grease, I figured it was time for it to go under the knife. Guess I'll find out more details about the condition of the prop on Friday.

Worst Case Estimate?

My prop which was essentially the same as yours was up for calendar (6 year) overhaul. Being a SARL racer (www.sportairrace.org) on a retired migrant aerospace worker budget I saw this as the time to upgrade to F7496 blades for the extra 3 kts they provide. I contacted Hartzell directly via e-mail and got a formal quote. Unfortunately, I finally deleted the e-mail but the cost was ~$9,000. They said since the whole new prop is "only" ~$11,000 it is probably a good idea to just buy a new one. A friend inquired about their basic overhaul cost and he was told ~$2500 (I deleted that e-mail too). You can see that the blades are sinfully expensive, on the order of $3,000 each by calculation. I recently sold my propeller "K" hub (replaceable with "K" or "R" hub) with a "B" ending serial number (meaning that it is not subject to the recurring hub eddy current inspection) for $3,010. There are deals like that out there from people lusting for race speed and upgrading to the blended airfoil Hartzells as I did. If you want to do the time consuming research of the possibilities - used blades, etc. - you can probably get the cost down to a workable level. If you make change in prop types as you are considering, you are exposing yourself to new problems beyond bolt it on and go.

Bob Axsom

Ordered through Van's, the 7497 is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than 11k. We just put one on a 6a that had a scrapped 7666.

For experimentals, I personally wouldn't work about a slightly thin blade.... but thats me.

Yes Van's has a very good price

Ordered through Van's, the 7497 is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than 11k. We just put one on a 6a that had a scrapped 7666.

For experimentals, I personally wouldn't work about a slightly thin blade.... but thats me.

Van's price is/was $6,649 if it is delivered before the traditional price increase in January. They are limited to selling one per plane. The implementation gets a little foggy.

Bob Axsom

I considered having them just overhaul the hub, strip, alodine and paint the blades, and throw it back together. After all, the "bad" blade is only a few thousandths under at two of the measurement stations. Would it be fine? Most likely; however, I figure that the engineers established limits for a reason, and there is no point dipping into the safety margin. As it turns out, these aren't even F7666 blades, but rather the older 7666 blades. They're tired.

Where did you send the prop for OH?

Prop Works Inc, in Lakeland, FL. These guys have been great to work with so far, and have not tried to steer me in any one direction or spend my money for me.

I took this picture in their shop yesterday. Christmas colors, but not quite the present I was hoping for....
photo-1.jpg