pierre smith

Well Known Member
Hi everybody,
I was sent these beautiful photos of the Southwest, done by Maule pilots. Just click the link or save it for later...about thiry pictures.

Awesome pictures of the southwest.

Thought you might like to see these.....stunning photos...

I hope you all can see these pics. They are really wonderful. I don't know
the people who took them or who was flying the plane. I enjoyed seeing these.

This is somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 or 40 pics - so save 'til you
have time. After the first dozen or so they become priceless, unless, of
course, you plan to do some of this kind of flying. Did enjoy the
pics, though Hope you do !!!!!!!

This is why I fly. When it's up close and personal,
I get a good view. Watching Glen Canyon fill up with
water was kinda sad though.

Thought you folks might enjoy some great Grand Canyon, Glen Canyon
Dam, Lake Powell, etc. photos from a different perspective:

http://silvairehair3.home.comcast.net/032007/

Regards,

Beautifull Photos!!! One question about a caption.

After transiting the highest concentration of government owned SUA on the planet we arrive at Big Bear

What's an SUA?
Thanks,
Josh

These photos come from the site of a gent who is doing a Luscombe restoration. Go to http://vintage-air.home.comcast.net/luscombe/
Paul Irvine writes with a great sense of humor and does a great job showing how to polish a plane with Nuvite. Go to his site and enjoy more flying stories and good wrenching demonstrations.
Don

Rocket Sled Track

This was originally a rocket sled track where they did lots of ejection seat testing. That is why it is so long.

hurricane_2.jpg

Wow man, that's a cool shot Scott. Boy I wonder which end of the track is the starting point and ending point... :eek:

dan said:
Wow man, that's a cool shot Scott. Boy I wonder which end of the track is the starting point and ending point... :eek:
The direction the vehicles traveled is toward the viewer. I know a guy here in Carlsbad that used to get shot off that thing (Hurricane Mesa).

Last edited:
dan said:

This wasn't my shot, I took this one off the link at the start of this thread. They were calling it a runway and just wanted to clarify it's purpose. There is a runway off to the right that you can see in the photo though.

I thought I should have a shot of it because I have flown over many times but I looked and couldn't find one. It is located just north of Hurricane UT. which is at the west enterance of Zion's National Park. There are some guys at my local airport that have seen them shoot people off the cliff. Sounds like a rush!

n5lp said:
The direction the vehicles traveled is toward the viewer. I know a guy here in Carlsbad that used to get shot off that thing (Hurricane Mesa).

Heading toward the edge of that cliff in a rocket sled would certainly motivate me to test the ejection mechanism. Of course I'd need some moderate motivation to actually get in the rocket sled.

:)

I just ran across this thread from 2007 about the test facility at Hurricane Mesa, UT.

For the record, I believe that it is safe to say that there were never any ejection seat tests performed there that involved human test subjects. There was a lot of work done there that has led to the technology that we have today that has saved the lives of many air crewman. This was where a lot of that started back in the 1950's and before there was the Supersonic Naval Ordnance Research Track (SNORT) and the track at Holloman AFB where Col. John P. Stapp performed his remarkable tests and research.

larosta