704CH

Well Known Member
OK, no jokes about a twisting hoses.. but...

I am using Bonaco flexible hose for some fuel lines and brake lines. When tighening as you complete the final torque, the hose twists. This causes the line to twist like an old fashioned telephone cable and cary a preload twist. Is this a problem?

I think the aeroquip hose has a hex fitting connected directly to the hose (not on the swivel head) so that you can use two wrenches to avoid twist, but Vans fuel line and Bonaco don't..

I can pre load the hose in the opposite direction which helps, but its hard to tell how much it will twist, and the hose isn't always easy to reach with two hands.

Any advise from the experts out there?

Thx

Lube

OK, no jokes about a twisting hoses.. but...

I am using Bonaco flexible hose for some fuel lines and brake lines. When tighening as you complete the final torque, the hose twists. This causes the line to twist like an old fashioned telephone cable and cary a preload twist. Is this a problem?

I think the aeroquip hose has a hex fitting connected directly to the hose (not on the swivel head) so that you can use two wrenches to avoid twist, but Vans fuel line and Bonaco don't..

I can pre load the hose in the opposite direction which helps, but its hard to tell how much it will twist, and the hose isn't always easy to reach with two hands.

Any advise from the experts out there?

Thx

I had these issues with a couple of my Bonaco hoses. I put a drop of Boelube in the back of the nut to lube the surface between the nut and the hose barb to help the nut turn without twisting up the hose. Didn't totally cure the problem, but it helped a lot.

Yep. Recently after doing some brake maintenance, my logistics officer, who also re-installs wheel pants, noticed a bonaco caliper brake line slightly messing with her process... All work stopped until being inspected and resolved. After I got over my state of being impressed that she had not just proceeded and instead called me for help, I noticed that the recent final assembly of the flexible brake line had twisted the line slightly. My choice was to slightly loosen the nut and gently grab the hose fitting with some padded pliers to hold it from twisting, while re-tightening the nut. I like the idea of a little lube under the nut/fitting shoulder surface.