Ron Lee

Well Known Member
Just prior to my solo Bahamas trip, I had to change the oil and filter. Easy job even for someone who does not have a repairman's certificate.

With the cowl off I considered taking the vacuum pump off and having an experienced mechanic check it out. Then a wave of common sense came over me and suggested that nothing good could come of it and possibly I might do something bad.

So I left well enough alone and skipped the vacuum pump and just checked other connections in the firewall forward area.

Today I read about an unusual event when working on spark plugs prior to leaving for Oshkosh

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=560611#post560611

Seems to reinforce my gut feeling of avoiding maintenance before a big trip unless you do it with adequate time to get parts.

i definitely believe in a shake down flight before a big trip. there has been a few times i have found a problem and been able to fix it. other times things went wrong during the trip next day. you never win. dont run out of gas and keep them plugs firing. love those long trips. it is what is remembered at the end of the year in reflection.

i definitely believe in a shake down flight before a big trip. there has been a few times i have found a problem and been able to fix it. other times things went wrong during the trip next day. you never win. dont run out of gas and keep them plugs firing. love those long trips. it is what is remembered at the end of the year in reflection.

...and do the shake down flight in the same configuaration that you will have on your trip - same people and same cockpit gear.

I did it solo once, and then set of for a 4 week trip finding out that communications was only one-way to the co-pilot/CFO due to intercom problems. Didn't get it sorted out until I reached Canada where I had to borrow a portable intercom...:eek: