shiney

Well Known Member
To those who have the AvMap in their panel, did you use the AvMap coiled cigar lighter adaptor to wire it or did you use a permanent wiring? if so, where did you get it from?

Shiney

:)

Avmap cable

You can get the ships power cable from Avmap, even though you may not see it on thier website. Shoot an Email to Miriam in Mashpee via the US website. I actually got mine from Gulf Coast Avionics. They did not list it on thier web page, but happened to have one to sell me. Stien may have one as well, as he is an Avmap dealer.

Should be easy to locate

HTH,
Chris

Pwr cord WHITE wire not used

Note that the power cord has three wires in it, RED, BLACK, WHITE. Per AvMap, the WHITE wire is not used with the EKP-IV.

Cigarette lighter plug

I just used the plug that came with the Avmap. Placed the cigarette lighter plug (is that still a politically correct term?) in the sub-panel, so everything is well hidden.

Ditto on Lyco!
I have a tip-up and can remove the AVMAP in about 1 minute to use in another aircraft.

Used the coil cord---------at least the first couple inches of it.

Spliced the inner leads to the wires going to breaker, and ground.

Works just fine.

I was thinking of doing the same, either cigar lighter or splicing but wasn't sure it was the right thing to do.

I think I'll use the cord.

Martin

Use power cable

I used the special power cable you can buy from Avamp, it is much lighter than the coiled one. I can remove the Avmap from the panel in seconds(clicks right in the opening that I made, with two plastic 'snappers' to hold it in place). I kept the coiled wire and an addtional antenna for use in other planes and now, while I am still building, when a fly a club-plane.

Regards, Tonny.

Antennas

I've just had an email from Miriam atAvMap, it's $24.99 for their supplied wire.

Can I ask about GPS antennas? What have builders done with regards to their set up?

I have GRT HX1 with GPS. For those with this set up have you wired both your AvMap and GRT to seperate antennas or to one single antenna, if to one, how did you do it and where have you put your GPS antennas ? (single or dual) (RV7).

Thanks

Martin

How I did it.

Separate antennas------four of them across the glare shield.

I am not an electronics guy, but I suspect that sharing an antenna would not work well, the signal is pretty weak to begin with, also, some things like XM use an antenna that is protected by an ESN.

Use original anttena for best reception!

I am installing my antenna under the cowling (as many have done before, with good performance), but I am using the antenna that came with the Avmap, because te aftermarket antenna that I bought with a shorter wire, does not nearly have as good reception as the original one.

Regards, Tonny.

Best reception ever!

I put mine just ahead of the firewall, enough to give it clear view of the sky above. I think this is what most have done before and seems to work fine.
Anyway, when I tested the reception, while driving my car, it carried on, even after hiding the antenna under the seat! It has best reception ever.

Regards, Tonny