albertaflyer

In the market for a new gps. Anyone flying the new avmap V yet? The prices have come down quite a bit for the 696 and is very comparable to the avmap. Opinions on either would be appreciated. Pros and cons from people flying with either. Thanks

Garmin 150% this is my reccomendation as a former AVMAP EKP IV owner and operator. I liked the size of the AVMAP but that was about it. hated customer support, reliabilty, antenna, update service and $$$$$$

with the recent price break for the 696 I think you'd be silly not to go for it over the av map. Im currently flying both. I own the av map and work for an avionics shop where we're a garmin dealer. The 696 is far superior. I find it far more user friendly, Wx is great, the moving map is smoother, and resolution is much better. You wont regret the 696.

I though i did....antennas. 696: you can lock it isndide a safety deposit box at a bank vault and still receives signal. Avmap????? I got so tired $250 repair. They must replace the entire pc board. Expect 3 visits bqck to avmap to get new pc board calinratednproperly to avoid frequency fluctuations on screen....Actually sold y avmqp to one of team rv members after last rturn from shop and had to give his money back. I was embarrased!

Got many more

EKP V

[Text here that was promotional in nature was removed by the owner of the forums. Non advertisers cannot use the forums as a promotional tool. Answering a specific, technical question that can be verified with a source is of course allowed - and encouraged!
brandlogo.jpg
]

Last edited by a moderator:
I like our AvMap

I am happy with the AvMap overall, but I do agree the manual sucks.

We got a different book for it from ACS, it works well.

13-06285B.jpg

The screen is bright and easy to see, even though it is mounted on the far side of the panel.

I like the fact the screen is large, and I can choose what info I want to show in the block at the top.

I have had to get the unit repaired once, the joy stick fell off. The good folks at AvMap USA fixed it for free, and did a complete update as well.......no charge.

Here is a shot of it on our recent trip to Osh.

DSC06107.jpg

Last edited:
AvMap 4

Really like my AvMap 4. Have had no problems with it that i haven't been able to work out with Dan at AvMap. Am installing the AvMap 5 in my RV7 which is 75% finished. The last time i checked the 696 was $2200 and the AvMap at ACP was $1789.