trib

Well Known Member
No response previously, so I thought I'd give this one last try. Hopefully, someone has some firsthand knowledge on the geopilot II.

Looking at installing a GPS, can anyone lend me an opinion on the avmap geopilot II (apx $800) vx the 296 ($1200 or $900 refurbished). It seems attractive and a good deal. The lowrance 2000c doesn't fit the space I allocated for a GPS on my panel. Using the 296 as the standard, how do you feel the avmap II stands up? I appreciate any feedback as I would like to order one of the two within a week.

I think I can help you. I have the AvMap GeoPilot II Plus (paid $999) and use it for a backup GPS.

Personally, for the money, I think it's one of the better values out there. It has terrain, Victor Airways, and AvMap has announced that XM weather will be added in the next 60 days via a software upgrade and purchase of the obligatory XM antenna. I have no idea if the software upgrade will be free or not however....and I'm sure the XM antenna will bring a pretty price. BUT, even if the XM antenna costs $500, I'll still have in the weather capable GPS for only $1500. The GPS, considering it's overall size, has a large screen which is very readable in daylight and the utility of the unit overall is very good. I keep waiting for someone like Gizmo to come up with a panel mount adapter for this GPS as it appears that it would fit into a panel very nicely

Also, it has a ground mode that gives verbal turn-by-turn directions. However, I try to restrict its use to aviation only.

My only caveats to AvMap has to be with their support and what's included in the package when you buy. Their website is spotty at best and typically, you have to call them in Mashpee, MA, to get any real problems resolved, questions answered, or accessories ordered. Also, for some unknown reason, the GPS does NOT come with a yoke mount...but, it does come with a suction cup (or windshield) mount...which seem strange to me. A yoke mount is available for an additional charge.

However, given the price and the "can do" attitude of the staff in Mashpee, this is still a nice unit for the price.

Garnett

Thanks for the reply Garnett. From the lack of response, I can only assume that this model has not been used by very many individuals on the site. The size makes it a great fit on my panel, with a larger screen than a Garmin. If I purchase this, and I'm leaning towards it, I plan on somehow incorporating it into the panel, similar to how a number have made their own mounts for the Garmin. I appreciate that I got at least one response which I read as positive.
:)