Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
Well I just got my Sporty's September 2006 catalog and I see the AvMap EKP IV write up and image on page 109. Now, I have seen the EFB write-ups etc. and I saw Paul Dye's comments a while back about a product that only shows the approach plates, etc. (no GPS and other bells and whistles). The product that Paul described seems like it would be fine for my applications. Jeppessen has gotten so expensive it is clear to me that they do not want my business and I have difficulty reading the small print in the cockpit at night anyway (need the white light) and them having two approach formats in the books at the same time is awkward. I make cross country trips frequently enough that I am always buying FAA Terminal Procedures Publications (approach plate books) and En Route Low Altitude Charts to supplement my Jeppessen subscription for Oklahoma/Arkansas/Lousiana coverage (you don't get to pick the states you want of course). So I am constantly working around the differences in the FAA charts/plates and the Jeppessen charts/plates as well. All this conspires to make me want a compact single format per application system but I have been around development projects long enough to know many will not survive, there are a lot of clumsy implementations, extra hardware is required, wires are exposed in the cockpit, updates are expensive, operationa heat is a problem, etc. etc.

This thing in Sporty's is advertized as a strap on your leg affair that requires ony power and an external antenna. I could live with that but I suspect this is not the whole story. I would like to hear candid inputs from others that are not as timid as I - people that have made the plunge - so I can make a more informed decision.

Bob Axsom

eFlybook

Hi Bob - I did a little more looking at the eFlybook (the thing I mentioned a little while back), and decided I was going to wait until i hear some reports from people in the file. I did talk to their sales guy, and when I asked if the whole approach plate was visible, he said that parts of it are off the screen, and you have to scroll around. It sounds very promising, but I don't want to be on that much of a bleeding edge on technology, so since my chart subscription is good to next May, I tempered my impatience, and decided to wait and see.....

Paul

You can learn more specifically about the EKP IV in this thread: avmap EKP Impressions

I've been looking for the Holy Grail of inflight data presation. I've used tablet PC, laptops, PDA, and have not yet found an acceptably small and yet visible (in the bright cockpit environment) technology to my liking. When I complete the RV-7 I'll probably go with a Motion LS800 or similar tablet PC which is small enough to be manageable, has a View Anywhere display that is visible in direct sunlight, and can run a GPS moving map/flight planning program that will pop up approach plates for the selected approach, and then pop up taxi-way diagrams once on the ground.

svanarts said:
You can learn more specifically about the EKP IV in this thread: avmap EKP Impressions

Thanks for that. Most of the comments are encouraging but the omission of some approaches is a significant problem and the ignorance (or worse) of a company representative responding to the learned observation of a potential buyer is very disturbing. Since the data are not complete, one has to wonder about the source and the validity of what is available. A completely reliable and available set of approach plates requires buying the paper sets and cross checking the electronic version before flight for coverage as well as correctness and bringing them along for reliability. Even with the preflight cross check, it is doubtful that the checks would be effective in detecting out of date or otherwise erroneous electronic displays and every successful cross check would reduce the checking rigor. It is easy to imagine an "Aftermath" article in Flying devoted to crash that occurred due to bad electronic data even though good hard copy approach plates were in the plane. However, the functionality sings a siren song that is hard to resist.

Bob Axsom

Same Place Bob....

Bob Axsom said:
It is easy to imagine an "Aftermath" article in Flying devoted to crash that occurred due to bad electronic data even though good hard copy approach plates were in the plane. However, the functionality sings a siren song that is hard to resist.

Bob Axsom

You and I have arrived at the same place Bob - I really LOVE the idea of having all my charts in one little electronic box....but I'm just sure the functionality is reliable yet (for a price that I can afford at least...)

Paul

Experience with bad/missing data in the AvMap parallels what some Garmin users are reporting. The company just shrugs and says to complain to Jeppesen. That's not good enough for me, if I buy the product from you, I want YOU to complain to Jeppensen for me. :)

For day VFR flying the EKP IV is an impeccable unit. Just the right size, VERY readable display. I just wanted a multipurpose device a la PDA or tablet so I sold my EKP. I ended up with a Lowrance 600C. So much for multipurpose. :)

Fugawi

I have an Avpap EKP IV and and won't do what you want as I doubt you can be sure to obtain current charts.
But my Fugawi PDA compromise might do what you want.

Maptrax Australia supplies scanned Aeronautical Charts which can be dispalyed on a PDA and driven by a GPS.
http://www.maptrax.com.au/
The software to drive the system is Fugawi (I can explain what I think is the origin of the name..... by private email) which I think is Canadian.
http://www.fugawi.com/web/
You can purchase Charts or scan your own, so you can ensure they are identical copies of the current charts.
It is possible that someone in the States can provide USA Charts for this Fugawi driven system.
The only downside I found is the small PDA screen, but it is value for $.

Craggy Aero supplied me with the PDA, GPS and connections.
http://www.craggyaero.com/

Also try http://www.avionix.com/E_Charts.html
Pete.
fugaiwhd5.jpg

Lowrance 600C

svanarts said:
For day VFR flying the EKP IV is an impeccable unit. Just the right size, VERY readable display. I just wanted a multipurpose device a la PDA or tablet so I sold my EKP. I ended up with a Lowrance 600C. So much for multipurpose. :)
Apologies for wandering off-topic a bit here. What are your thoughts on the 600C? I'm still a VFR/rental/spam-can driver, and am considering one. Do you like it and would you buy it again?

Thanks!

A different perspective

Many times someone will come up with a good idea that they have taken a lot of risk on and pushed to the limit of their current knowledge with the result that they draw a lot of attention from people like me that have no clue what they have gone through to reach production. I look at the product as a replacement for what has evolved over 3/4 of a century and I find holes. I'm thinking that if I look at this system as a backup for the paper system I see tremendous benefits and accept the development holes.

Do I really want this system or what?

Bob Axsom

Pilot reports on AV-Map

Bob,
I have read pilot reports on this unit that stated that after a while the leg on which the unit was strapped to, got very hot?? I have read good reports on the panel mounted unit for moving map stuff.
Cheers, Pete

As far as the Lowrance 600 unit goes, I have the 2000c which I really like and it will drive the autopilot if required. The colored units seem to have a bigger current draw than the monochrome so figure on an aux power supply for your plane. My 2000c will burn through a set of AA batteries in 45 minutes. The 600 has similar features to the 2000c and is a worth while unit. Figure on some time involved in getting topographical maps loaded into memory if you want these. It took me about 3 days to get my 2000c up and running with full topo features with the Jeppesen overlay for flying. The terrain awareness feature is cool but the terrain is shown in relief as opposed to the contour lines in the topo mapsets. You can't seem to have both running at once, at least right now.

Cheers, pete

Good Input

I was afraid the heat would be a problem. I have no space in the plane for this except on my left leg. My panel is decentalized so one failure doesn't take out everything and I have some form of backup for everything critical. I have started thinking about insulation but the heat has to go somewhere and if it goes back into the unit that could effect reliability. More to think about, plan for and rationalize. Thanks for the information.

Bob Axsom

Avmap

Anyone know when the new Avmap EKP IV software will arrive from Italy. It was suppose to be there at the end of Sept. This will correct map shift when in track mode. Also, they said they are correcting the terrain map, as it won't work in anything other than North up. Also, they told me they will have the XM Weather released by Christmas. Soooo, Hmmmm.. Where is the revision?? Did it get stuck in their Linguini?