TomH

The Avmap GPS, am looking. Please tell me about yours, or why you DID or DID NOT put in your panel.
Thanks for the help

AvMap

Really like it. Although I have just been taxi testing, I have flown with it in other aircraft. VERY easy to read! Does everything I need done and the batteries last as advertised. If AvMap adds weather, it will be perfect.

Didn't put it in the panel, though. I built a holder (this was before Airgizmo's had one for the IV) that works well and didn't require any holes in the panel. It mounts to the bottom lip of the panel and can be removed with a couple of screws. I plan on upgrading to an IFR GPS at some point and may or may not keep it. My initial plan was to sell it at that point, but now I am leaning toward keeping it as a backup. I did as few holes in the panel as possible because it is leather covered and I don't want to make any cuts that would later need covering. BTW, when I asked why leather, I tell 'em it is for sound deadening. Actually, I like leather and had extra. It looks great, has no glare or reflections and it will match the seats (when I get them done.) And besides, it is such good sound deadening . . .

Bob Kelly

EKP IV

I spoke to AvMap this afternoon, and it appears that they will have XM weather capability within the next week or so.

I really like the unit, and have had mine for almost a year and a half.

Big screen

I bought mine beacause it has Maximum screen acreage / dollar.

It has proved to be a good unit, very readable, easy to use and a good list of functions.

The down side for me is that with our tiny popultion in Australia, Avmap is not interested in upgrading the map data base.

I panel mounted mine and have written a QRH (Quick Reference Handbook) for it.
Email [email protected] if you want a copy.

Pete.
ipaqdr3.jpg

Yes good stuff, I think they've updated their maps in December 2006, so just check again. XM weather, you guys in the USA are so spoiled, us other continent folkes can't have it! No XM Satelite coverage. :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

If it is true they upgrading their unit, let us know!

Regards
Rudi

Would you like the chicken or the fish ?

What does the GALLEY button/annunciator do, Peter ?

I really do think these little 'touches' that builders do - adds a bit of character and a lot of uniqueness.

Galley Power

Ron,
I have a 12V outlet in the baggage compartment to run a small 'Beer Cooler'.
As I was a Boeing driver for years and always had a switch labeled, "Galley Power", I thought I would stick with tradition.

Pete.

mikegraycmg said:
I spoke to AvMap this afternoon, and it appears that they will have XM weather capability within the next week or so.

I really like the unit, and have had mine for almost a year and a half.

BUMPing this Thread...can anybody in the USA confirm the availibility of the 'NEW' unit?

I've got a business trip planned to the USA end of March, and would like to pick up an Avmap, if a new one is available then I'd rather get a new one..

Thanks