Pilottonny

Well Known Member
Hello,

On my last two flights, my Avmap EKP-IV had a strange malfunction. It showed a "frozen" screen after take-off. Non of the buttons worked and I could not even power it down. I had to pull it from the pannel (installed removable) and disconnect/reconnect the power supply cable, to reboot it (I do not have a separate power switch for the GPS). During the rest of the flights it did work flawlessly.

I have no idea why, after more than 10 years of faultless operation, the unit is suddenly "hooking-up", just showing a frozen screen. Because this happened during, or just after take-off, I did not see what happened just before or during the "freeze".

Has anybody had this happen before and have any idea what causes it?

Kind regards,

Tonny.

we call it ...."marketing" ( conspiracy theory # 235)

....this is pretty common after a new model has come out. Most manufacturers have a covert satellite frequency that sends a 'burst' to your 'old' unit, causing an inexplicable failure! ( I think MicroSoft invented this!)
...you now are supposed to call AvMap and order a new EKP V...your unit may continue to function until the package arrives in the mail, at which time it becomes a lovely paperweight.
....just a theory, of course! :)

10 years old electronics devices could still possibly be suffering electrolytic capacitor failure related to the infamous "capacitor plague"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

This didn't just affect computers and computerized devices, but all kinds of electronics devices suffered, and are still suffereing premature failure of electrolytic caps made with the faulty electrolyte formulas.

AvMap4 Issue

Tonny, I have had this same problem. AvMap is 5 yrs old. Talked to AvMap USA several times. Finally sent it in. They replaced the GPS Module,4GB CF Card-KACFA01GSD and Jep AAMN760 N. America. Worked well for awhile, then stated freezeing- up again. Flew to OSK this summer. Still freezeing up on- route. Vern at The AvMap booth lent me his antenna to fly back to B.C. Can. No freezeups on return. Installed my old antenna and more freeze-ups occured. Went back to Verns antenna and everything worked fine. On 1 trip a few weeks later it froze again. Have had no freeze-ops since that time. I think Perry & Neal might be on the right track.