vlittle

Well Known Member
The following is a new product that will be introduced by Vx Aviation shortly.

As a bit of a teaser, I'm publishing the photo and will give away free a unit to the first person that correctly identifies it's function.

To keep things fair, I will be the sole judge.

If you miss out on the first one for free, but know the answer then I will give away a second one to the person that can identify a good use for it. In the event that you guess both, you only get one, sorry.

P.S. it's not 'Magic'.

Thanks,
V

PROTON-225A.jpg

Looks like a breakout board so that if one were changing brands of avionics, this can be used to adapt a wiring harness without changing the wiring harness itself. Also looks like some prototyping area is there as well so one can put in a DIP IC in, transistors, caps, etc.

Last edited:
I agree with Bob. I built a similar adapter when I changed my intercom. It was easier than rewiring my harness.
Looks like it might plug into the back of a Dynon for adding accessories, like a remote AOA.

Last edited:
By following the traces I can see that it is obviously a flux capacitor. It's purpose is to enable a stainless steel RV to travel through time. You just need a really big alternator to go with it.

It's an adapter for a solar panel. But the proton 225 is a pretty serious panel.
I guess it's just right for 24 volt system.

Annunciator controller? I see what could be a 78L05 (or similar) and input/output caps, so it seems like it has a regulated power supply...

mcb

Last edited:
Well... zooming in on the picture reveals silkscreening that looks like "PIC16/18" so I'll presume that's where a Microchip brand of programmable microcontroller will reside.

Is it a serial-to-graycode converter?

V Littles Cool Stuff

It IS an AOA display for us VFR guys. Just mount it on the dash and bam! AOA info.

Heavy right wing

No, you guys are all wrong...

It is clearly to resolve the heavy right wing issue so many builders face. Jeez...

Garmin converter

It's a universal adaptor to make whatever Garmin announces tonight fit into whatever existing Garmin you currently have. Garmin has a version but it will cost three or four times as much :rolleyes:

You guys are doing great, lots of good answers.

The folks who have said "AoA" didn't see the photo on the AoA thread that shows our V-Speed device naked. It does AoA for Dynon and GRT. However, you could build an AoA indicator with this device.

So far, there are many partially right answers. Someone's going to put it all together...

... but Mike Starkey may win for being so cynical.

V

Data Stream Reader

I think Neal@F14 is close, a PIC microcontroller tapping into the datastream doing the read/parse function so us experimenters/tinkerers can program/drive something off the EFIS output data

My next guess is this is a board so that one can prototype signal conditioning circuits for logging to aux. 0-5V inputs on an EFIS.

And the winner is...

Hi folks. The contest is closed.

Although the best answer is “All of the Above”, the winner with the closest guess is Gil (az_gila) for his analysis… “programable anything-to-anything converter”. Gregg (fly3g) “a PIC microcontroller tapping into the datastream doing the read/parse function so us experimenters/tinkerers can program/drive something off the EFIS output data” wins the application prize.

That’s definitely one of the applications, especially when coupled with the AXIS-25A wiring hub. The PROTON-225A will plug right into the hub, which provides power and a bunch of uncommitted signals. Other wires into the hub can be serial ports from EFIS systems, Comms, Nav systems, EMS and so on.

Almost all of the other guesses were correct, as well.

The PROTON-225A is a general purpose prototyping board, so can support many different uses. It has both a male and a female DB-25 Connector, with pins 13 and 25 used as power and ground, respectively. These two pins are wired together on both of the connectors. All others are uncommitted.

There is a general purpose prototyping area occupying the bulk of the board. There are 3 power buses down the middle (pin 13, pin 25 and regulated power). A few of the pins are prewired so that a 20-pin PIC microcontroller can be added, along with a programming port and oscillator/resonator circuit.

There are two positions for transistors of any type and one position for a potentiometer.

Finally, there is a prewired regulator (nominally 5V using a 78L05 regulator, but can be any 78LXX device).

One of the best features is that the whole shebang fits inside a standard plastic case. You’ll recognize this as a common feature of many Vx Aviation products.

The purpose for Vx Aviation offering this device is that we’ve had several customers ask for specialized widgets, modified for their purposes. Rather than us spending R&D resources on low-volume applications, we’re offering the PROTON-225A and the AXIS-25A wiring hub so that all kinds of specialized circuits can be custom built by electronics savvy people.

The PROTON-225A will be supplied as a blank board, a pair of connectors and the case. Depending on demand, we may also supply the regulator components and one connector soldered in place. Otherwise, everything will be solder-it-yourself to keep the costs low.

By the way, Mike Starkey is disqualified for thinking outside the box, so to speak. Initiative and innovation is discouraged until further notice. ;)

Note to Gil and Glenn: please send me personal messages with your mailing addresses.

Vern

The PROTON-225A:

PROTON-225A.jpg

A Wiring Hub to Support it, the AXIS-25A

AXIS-25A-photo.jpg

Last edited:
Drat... I missed this until now. I was going to say that it's an interface to a flux capacitor. I've been wanting one of those ever since I got an airplane that flies faster than 88 mph.

I had a chance to win a DeLorean once. I worked at a company called Mitel in the 80's and every year we had a year end party. We rented out the Ottawa Civic Center, hired the Charles Daniels band and gave away a DeLorean.

The winner was a young woman who worked on the production line.

So I had to settle for building airplanes.

V

Guess I was wrong!

I thought it was the secret code adapter to make a x96 show weather through ADS-B.....Oh well!

Gregg... you won one of the PROTONs. Please send me your mailing address and I'll send it out.

If you don't want one, I'll donate $25.00 to VAF instead.

V

Maybe that board I suggested for putting biasing resistors onto the sensor lines for the EIS-4000!

Hi John. You did have an influence on this. I was reluctant to do exactly what you wanted because I was looking for a general purpose solution. That's how the PROTON-225A was created.

So, yes, you could wire up your bias resistors with this device.

Thanks for your inspiration.

Vern