Rick_A

Well Known Member
I brought my plane in for a simple VFR Transponder check this morning. It is the big shop that has been on my airport forever.

I have a G3X system that has been in service for over 10 years. The Senior technician told me he had to run my altimeter up to 20,000* ft to check Data Correspondence of my Encoder. Well, I knew this wasn’t correct since the G3X sends the data to the Xpder so no Encoder check or correspondence test needed (except when it is first installed).

I initially agreed to do it but while I was waiting for them to start working on my plane, I contacted Walt at Expaircraft. I know he know his stuff and he sent me the page from AC43-6D that explicitly states that it Does Not need to be when the data is sent in digital format to the Xpder.

The owner of the shop insisted that I was wrong. He didn’t even want to look at AC43 info that I printed and got very testy with me very quickly. I decided I wanted nothing to do with this guy or his shop and left without getting the check done.

This was definitely a case of the owner sayin, I don’t give a damn what the regs say. This is how I say it has to be done because I know better.
All I know is that I will never go back there for any reason

I will be taking a trip to visit Walt in the near future😀
* 20,0000 ft is not required it could be less but that is the normal default for an IFR cert.

I paid $200 for the local guy to check the transponder for my VFR only bird. I think most of the avionics shop only see certificate IFR airplane

I paid $200 for the local guy to check the transponder for my VFR only bird. I think most of the avionics shop only see certificate IFR airplane
It’s not even a matter of Certified vs Experimental. The same rule would apply to all or almost all glass panel planes. If the Xpdr is getting digital data the “Gray code” test is not required.
The method this shop insisted on doing is for encoders that use Gray code.