UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - moving along with construction, and now I have a few questions pertaining to mounting some of the electronics / avionics.
Here's a draft of the main components that I am planning on using in my panel. I am planning on using the Dynon transponder and will not need any dedicated panel space.
35d3ymc.jpg

1) Com Radio - I am planning on using a Garmin SL-40 for a com radio. Looking at the specs, the radio is 10.5" deep and the subpanel is ~9" or so behind the main panel, meaning that I will need to cut a hole in the subpanel. However, cutting a hole (approximately at the blue lines) will mean also cutting through the support for pivot pins for the canopy.

2up78lf.jpg

I was not planning on using the quick release per the plans, but was planning on having handle hang down and rotating it for release. Is there any solution here other than to just skip the whole quick release and go with bolts?

2) Mounting Dynon EMS Module. Not sure where the best place is to mount this module to allow for any future maintenance. Was thinking about mounting it on the rear of the forward subpanel.
sbr335.jpg

My thinking here is that with the canopy open, I will be able to get at the harnesses. However, they will be exposed to the elements when the canopy is open. I could mount it to the forward side to protect it, but getting to it for any future maintenance will be more challenging.

3) Mounting VP-X. I am thinking about running some AL angle between the panel supports and hanging the VP-X down below it.... any better suggestions as to where to mount this?

Thanks again for your help,
Jason

Subpanel hole

I have two 7" Skyviews, SL30, GTX327, and GMA240 mounted very similar to what you have planned. I cut the bottom half of the stiffener off, kept the bottom arm on the pivot and have that bolted to the rib. Next time around I will just put bolts through the canopy hinge. Except...next time I would mount have the 2nd display in the center and the SL30 and audio panel off to the right. You will spend a lot more time looking at that 2nd display than tuning the com radio.
I have been flying with PDF, MAP, and EMS screens all on the left side. I would prefer PDF and EMS (20% size) on the left and MAP on the right display, it is just not easy to see over there.
My EMS module is mounted where you show. Mount it and anything else you possibly can to the front of the subpanel with nutplates. That way you won't have to strain your shoulder trying to get a wrench back there later.
Reconsider using a SL30 instead of the SL40. It's like having two nav radios, both putting a needle pointer on the Skyview HSI. You will have a glideslope if you ever consider IFR.