woodsideraff

Well Known Member
I'm upgrading my panel on the 8A with D10A, EMSD10, HS34, GNS430, GPSMAP496, and the Tru-Trak A/P. That, in addition to 4 3 1/8" instruments represent quite a load on the panel.

I would appreciate any suggestions on adding a brace at the rear of the trays for added support.

Thanks and regards.

Diagonal Brace

In this picture, you can see one solution that has worked out well - I mounted a diagonal brace made of aluminum "U-Channel" (could just as well have used angle) that runs from near the middle of the panel down to the rear of the heavy avionics stack. I also riveted aluminum angels vertically along each side of the big hole for my GRT EFIS displays - pretty much essential to retain any strength at all.

IMG_7501.JPG

Paul

RE:diagonal brace

Thanks, Paul.

I had in mind something like this, but was concerned about the stresses induced on the main panel mounting screws, which in my case are #6. From the picture, it looks like your's are #8. I'll consider changing my nutplates to #8.

Cheers,

Rafael

Thanks, Paul.

I had in mind something like this, but was concerned about the stresses induced on the main panel mounting screws, which in my case are #6. From the picture, it looks like your's are #8. I'll consider changing my nutplates to #8.

Cheers,

Rafael

Yes, mine are #8 per van's design.

support

I made some upside down "L" brackets that I rivetted to the brace to support the radio trays (below them). I put some intertube like membrane between the "L" and the trays and I think it's going to work great. I have two "L" brackets per tray. Hope that helps. Dave

Another way

Here's how I did mine. Just finished in fact.

There are nut plates attached to the fuselage brace so I just pull the EFIS screen, remove the two screws, and the whole works will come out with the panel.

Don't know if I should put some kind of vibration isolation in there somehow though.

If I should, please, someone, chime in!