LyleM

I bought a new garmin transponder which came with the metal slide in tray/box. It's obvious that the tray has to have a mount bracket to secure it to the instrument panel in my -8. Would this be an L shaped bracket on each side of the avionics stack and if so what thickness of metal should I use? I will have a GTX-327 transponder, GNC-300XL GPS/COM, GMA-347 Audio panel in this stack. I have never heard anybody talk about this bracket. Thanks Lyle

Lyle,

Avionics stacks can be as varied as the instrument panels they are installed in. You must fabricate your own brackets (commonly .032) and adapt the brackets to a particular use. Research the VAF archives for much information including photographs to help you design brackets that best suit your immediate needs.

Along the same lines, what if you have two columns of stack? Would you need to allow space for two angles (seems like a waste of space) between the columns, or is there a better method?

Lyle,

I used some AA6-063X3/4X3/4 aluminum angle to fabricate my avionics stack attachment to the panel. Here is a pic:

IMG_9546.JPG

Here are two of my log entries to the detail of how I mounted my avionics trays:

http://rvplane.com/?categoryid=10001&dayid=723
http://rvplane.com/?categoryid=10001&dayid=724

The way Mike did it is the way it's done in most professional shops and the way to do it. The radiorax stuff is very expensive and nice...IF...you're installing radio that all have the exact same thickness bezel on them. They allow for easy vertical movement, but no fwd/aft adjustment, so in our typical experimental planes we use avionics from several mfgrs whom for whatever reason have the bezels at different thicknesses. Using the fixed mount means you can't line up all the faces nicely and it can (not always) look sloppy. I prefer angles that you drill yourself because you can and should position the radios yourself to assure a nice even alignment of all the avionics faceplates.

Cheers,
Stein

Cooling Fans

Thanks so much for the very useful information. I would like to add one more question to this thread in regards to avionics stacks. I see in parts catalogs, cooling fans. Would a stack of 3 radios need a cooling fan and if so where would you direct the air on each one of them?