dsm8

Well Known Member
Patron
Has anyone noticed a problem with getting avionics kit info and prices from Vans. I emailed a couple of weeks ago and have not heard anything, I called last week and asked them to send me the order forms and still nothing. In the past the customer service has been nothing d=short of spectacular, so I am curious if anyone has had a similar issues.

I think I will be going with the Dynon package. Any advice with respect to either the Garmin and the Dynon would be appreciated.

Thank you for considering.

Has anyone noticed a problem with getting avionics kit info and prices from Vans. I emailed a couple of weeks ago and have not heard anything, I called last week and asked them to send me the order forms and still nothing. In the past the customer service has been nothing d=short of spectacular, so I am curious if anyone has had a similar issues.

I think I will be going with the Dynon package. Any advice with respect to either the Garmin and the Dynon would be appreciated.

Are you building the original 12 with the ULS engine or a 12IS with the ULS engine? If the later, it’s all on their website.

No avionics ordered yet.
But I did order an 912is engine kit beginning of April and had to ask four times for an order confirmation. Received it just last week. My order at least was not only received but also said to be processed and marked for shipment this August 2024 (original estimate on Vans homepage was November 2024). So if that really happens in August I am totally happy, but understand your concerns.
Only advice I can give is to keep asking every other week or so. BTW, I always wrote emails to [email protected].

i placed my avionics kit order right after S N F and received an e mail just a couple of days later asking for full payment because the order was ready to go. four weeks later the order was at my door. then came the notice that my engine is ready to be crated, please pay the balance. engine is scheduled for mid July shipment. at each order point the communication with the mother ship has been perfect and to the point.

re: request for advice

I have been flying behind the Dynon D1000 (the generation prior to what they are selling now) in my RV-12. I have had nothing but praise for the system. It provides all of the info you need for a light aircraft, has free data updates, and is backed by a company that cares about its customers. You can actually talk with a technician or even an engineer, often on the same day you reach out. I have Garmin navigators in my Cirrus. Garmin charges ~$1000/yr to give you free government supplied information and has a 3 day wait for a reservation to talk to a phone support tech. They do make pretty graphics, though.

I have been flying behind the Dynon D1000 (the generation prior to what they are selling now) in my RV-12. I have had nothing but praise for the system. It provides all of the info you need for a light aircraft, has free data updates, and is backed by a company that cares about its customers. You can actually talk with a technician or even an engineer, often on the same day you reach out. I have Garmin navigators in my Cirrus. Garmin charges ~$1000/yr to give you free government supplied information and has a 3 day wait for a reservation to talk to a phone support tech. They do make pretty graphics, though.

I second that about Dynon........... I just upgraded My 2010 Legacy RV-12 ULS with dual Dynon HDX and I'm building a new RV-12is with dual Dynon HDX. Garmin is way to proud for me.

Funny that you are comparing a certified IFR navigator to an experimental piece of hardware. Dynon has no such thing on their product list. Let me know when you find somewhere to purchase free IFR navigator databases.

TeamX is always available during business hours and guess what, a few of their engineers frequently visit this and many other forums and groups.

Oh yeah, they also have free database update packages available.

Last edited:
i placed my avionics kit order right after S N F and received an e mail just a couple of days later asking for full payment because the order was ready to go. four weeks later the order was at my door. then came the notice that my engine is ready to be crated, please pay the balance. engine is scheduled for mid July shipment. at each order point the communication with the mother ship has been perfect and to the point.
When did you order your engine kit?

Unfortunately the "kit sales" email address has been incredibly slow lately. I just received an email reply from an inquiry I sent to them in April.