robertb328

Friend
I am looking for some advice. I am building an 8A and will have a rear mounted battery. I was contemplating placing some components in the area behind the battery. Specifically, the Skyview transponder, TCW flap controller, TCW light controller and TCW trim controller. I would have a split power bus, with a fuse block in the area to power these items, and possibly a few more. Looking at the area, is there any reason that I could not floor the area behind where the autopilot servo will be installed and mount the components on it? I would appreciate any input before I get too far down the wrong path.

You have obviously given this some thought

From your post you have provided power to the area. I am not familiar with these units, are the pilot interface requirements compatible? Any CG issues? Any function issues? I made two long standoffs by riveting aluminum angle back to back in "Z" fashion and riveted them to the inside bottom of the fuselage right of centerline aft of the rear bagage area bulkhead in our RV-6A. I installed platenuts on the other flange of both "Z" brackets and mounted an equipment plate or floor across the two brackets. On that plate I have mounted the whelen power supply for the three light strobe system which is turned on or off by a toggle switch on the instrument panel. The AltraK servo & controller and transponder are also in this general area. I don't see any obvious errors. Somebody has to determine the requirements for each EAB airplane and design a system that satisfies them. Every RV is unique because of this. It has been so long I don't remember the design review process details anymore but conceptually your approach sounds OK.

You could write out the requirements for your system using "shall" statements to specify all of your requirements for the equipment in this area and do your own design review stating how each requirement is satisfied. Later you could construct a requirement verification matrix where you indicate how the satisfaction of each requirement was verified. That may seem a little detailed but it is a systematic way to ease your mind.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I mounted a six circuit battery buss/fusebox adjacent to the battery. This powers my pmags and power outlets. I also installed a removeable plate on the "hatbox" area of the rear baggage compartment to access this area. I use the power outlet to power both my hand held items and to trickle charge the battery.

I can tell you that it is a real PIA to replace a fuse. I.E. pull out the rear seats & rear hatch, crawl in while the tail is sloping down ...... Very doable, just not convenient

I suppose if I were 30 pounds lighter and 30 years younger I wouldn't be complaining. However, if I had it to do over again I would not place any fuse boxes in that area, or any item that would require periodic maintenance.

8A

Robert,

Ive done this a couple of times. I would not go aft of the servo. You will want to get in there and check on it and that will not be easy. I mounted my transponder on the side of the fuselage just behind the baggage. I mounted a piece of sheet metal between the side two longerons using light weight angles to attach. Then mount the transponder and anything else to the sheet metal.

Pat

Robert,

Ive done this a couple of times. I would not go aft of the servo. You will want to get in there and check on it and that will not be easy. I mounted my transponder on the side of the fuselage just behind the baggage. I mounted a piece of sheet metal between the side two longerons using light weight angles to attach. Then mount the transponder and anything else to the sheet metal.

Pat

Thanks for all of the advice, this was my second option, so I will go with it.

Robert