ShawnR

Well Known Member
Friend
I saw this on the Van's website but the photos are blurry. Has anyone installed this? Anyone with photos? I am thinking not worth it in a finished aircraft (9A), although I might have some time to spend behind the panel. I am wondering what it looks like finished.

I saw this on the Van's website but the photos are blurry. Has anyone installed this? Anyone with photos? I am thinking not worth it in a finished aircraft (9A), although I might have some time to spend behind the panel. I am wondering what it looks like finished.

I installed them on my not yet finished -9A. They are kind of ugly compared to before I installed them. That said, I have used them to access some parts of my avionics and wiring. I still had to get on my back in the most uncomfortable position to access other things. I would not bother with these on a painted flying airplane.

I installed these and the results turned out nice. One trick is to rivet them in place with the skin clecoed (or already riveted) to the fuselage, to ensure you don't create a flat spot in the skin. Pre-curving the panels and doubler rings to lay down properly helps too. You don't strictly need these if you avoid mounting anything forward of the subpanel where you can't get to it.

Construction details:

I basically rolled my own back before these were available, it's turned out to be quite handy exactly 3 times in the life of my airplane (1640 hours). I would not do it again - I would spend more time and effort locating things where you don't need another panel to access them.

Thank you for the replies. Sounds like I will just suck it up, get some nice cushions and settle in. I looked behind the panel earlier this week for the first time. I got some cleaning up to do so might be there a while, off and on. No big issues, I just want to neaten things up. Although I am considering pulling the vacuum instruments out and putting in an AV30 or G5. So that would be a little more taxing given the vacuum lines, etc.

I appreciate the input. Cutting into the paint job would hurt. :eek:

I installed them during my build. They don't really give you access to the back of the panel, they're too far forward and you have sub panels in the way. They do give you access to the back of the firewall, fuel pump, and the rudder pedals.

Mine turned out well and I would definitely do it that way again.