Don Patterson

Well Known Member
I am working on my electrical system and would like to plan my radio stack. I have an opening of 6.250 wide but there is a rib in the way on the top of the opening. I am building a slider 7a and would like to know what the width of anavionics tray is. I can remove most of the rib and not have any problems as long as I add some support. I am guesing they are all the same width and the depth may vary a bit. I can open the width if I need to and now would be a good time to do that. Are trays 6" wide???

6.250 inches

All of the standard trays are designed to go between two uprights 6.250 inches apart.

You might want to add a small amount (say 0.015) to let the trays slip in a little easier...

gil in Tucson

UR correct...but remember, some of the avionics themselves need more than 6.25. For example, the "SL" series have 'ears' on them that extend into the tray that are actually a bit wider than the tray. Plan on at least 6.3-6.35 for that area for the SL's in particular. Thenm of course there are some that are smaller. Put a 327 next to a SL-30 and you'll find one floppy tray and one tight tray.

Best not to "plan" the tray cutouts until you have the trays in hand. It's the only way to have it come out nicely.

Cheers,
Stein

Trying to type with one hand.......

Stein,

Hope the finger is healing well!

You are correct in that if you use 6.25" spacing your trays will be tight or will not fit. I find that most install manuals for standard 6 1/4 in radios, recommend 6 5/16 (6.3125) cutout or rail spacing for trays.

Check on page 36 of this installation manual for example.