BHunt

Well Known Member
How is this thing gonna compare to the GTN-750? There's a comparison on Avidyne's website, but what are the real pros since it is the same price for a smaller screen. Will it be compatible with the EFIS's that are our there?

Brad

I think the real advantage of the IFD540 is the direct retrofit ability with the G540. Keep in mind that the GTN-750 is taller than a G540 so besides having to install a new rack you may need to relocate other avonics. If there is no more panel space for relocation the IFD540 is the obvious choice then. The IFD540 can save $2000 on installation cost and down time. Also many pilots like to have the option of real push buttons and knobs.

Pepe

As a retrofit the 540 MAY be ok option, but for new install just get a GTN and be done with it. Lots and lots of reasons but that's the short answer to a long explanation
Here's the biggie though...the IFD units DO NOT exist right now. You can't get one because they're not certified yet. This is I think the 3rd year they are at OSH with the demo boxes, and direct from their July 2012 literature delivery 'estimates' are as follows: "The IFD540 is currently in development and in flight test so we don?t have a specific delivery date but we are driving to an early 2013 completion date. Then regarding the 440: The IFD440 is currently in development so we don?t have a specific delivery date but we expect initial deliveries to be approximately 6 months after IFD550 deliveries".

My point is that lots of people are thinking of buying something based on demo models right now. Until it's certified and you can actually get one, how and why would you choose it?! BTW, we really do like Avidyne, but as most of you know I don't like to sell stuff that doesn't exist nor do I encourage using marketing rhetoric as a substitute for trial and comparison of an actual real life unit. "Savings" on installation downtime comments are a bit dubious at this time - seeing as none have been delivered yet. I'll be glad to do a comparison on real units once the real units are available, but until then having objective discussions on functional comparisons is difficult when the comparison is one real life actual unit that exists pitted against a virtual unit.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Stein

You have some good points. But I have to admit that Avidyne marketing strategy is a good one. First no one is in a rush to spend $20K, specially if you already have a G530. The direct retrofit market is bigger than those that have neither the G430 or G530, just check in Trade-A-Plane and see how many planes for sale are G430/530 equipped. So you must have that extra edge over the GTN-750 to convince those G530 owners why they should go with the Avidyne option. I know of 4 G530 owners that claim they do not have the panel space for the GTN-750 and are in no hurry to lay $20K plus installation cost. They may not buy either one because they are happy with the G530.

Pepe