sf260

It is my understanding that when connected to a Garmin GNS-430W or a GTN-650 via a GAD29(B) and ARINC-429, a G5 has the capability of serving as an annunciator panel for the GPS. In other words one need not install an additional annunciator panel if a properly connected and configured G5 is in the pilot's field of view.

If my assumption is correct on the annunciator issue -- can the same be said when using an AVIDYNE unit? Does the AVIDYNE unit send the proper "annunciator" labels over the -429 interface that the G5 can interpret and display?

I am considering installing a new GPS and already have two G5's in place in my panel. Not having to put in a new annunciator panel is a consideration.

Last edited:
It is my understanding that when connected to a Garmin GNS-430W or a GTN-650 via a GDL29(B) and ARINC-429, a G5 has the capability of serving as an annunciator panel for the GPS. In other words one need not install an additional annunciator panel if a properly connected and configured G5 is in the pilot's field of view.

If my assumption is correct on the annunciator issue -- can the same be said when using an AVIDYNE unit? Does the AVIDYNE unit send the proper "annunciator" labels over the -429 interface that the G5 can interpret and display?

I am considering installing a new GPS and already have two G5's in place in my panel. Not having to put in a new annunciator panel is a consideration.

Hello Brian,

It "should" be the case that the navigator you mention provides the same RS-232 and A429 digital data to the G5 units such that they will provide all the required annunciations like they do with GNS/GTN units, but we have only tested with all the Garmin navigators and portable units shown in the G5 installation manual.

Thanks,
Steve