TShort

Well Known Member
Any thoughts appreciated ... my weather knowledge is OK but not great.

I am tentatively planning on flying to CO from Indy tomorrow in the skyhawk. The weather from MO on looks great .... there is a cold front that is going to pass thru here today and I'm not sure what to expect weatherwise in the AM. What are ceilings, weather typically like after a cold front passes? I am not instrument rated. I won't fly under a low deck (3500' or so is OK for part of the trip) and prefer not to fly under the clouds if there are t-storms around (don't have a 496 yet :) ). I would be willing to fly the first several hours under a reasonable overcast. Any suggestions for good weather sites or for what to expect in the AM? I am fully prepared to drive if the weather is at all questionable.

Thanks for the input...

Thomas

Just looking at the forecasts I am going to guess you will get to the East border of Missouri and face less than 4000' ceilings and rain along the rest of your route.
Later in the afternoon it will clear and you might get there VFR.

Tomorrow AM
0700d483.gif

Tomorrow PM
0700d484.gif

Friday AM
0700d485.gif

Bear in mind I am not a weatherman and have never stayed at an HI Express.

Last edited:
under the weather

I simply call FSS before each 3 hour leg.Often I have alt. routes planned to ask about as I see weather via the weather link here. Just flew Calif. and back (Athens) and the only decks I flew below as a result of not calling(twice) first were 3500 at the bases. Both times as the layers got lower and lower I hit the nearest button and landed. Flight service was friendly, informative and a joy to use.I learned a lesson in planning ahead.Good trip, go for it and enjoy.
13KN
flower child

The weather behind the front is likely to be a lot like it is right now. Early in the morning, the cealings are going to be a bit lower until it warms up a bit, but still in the same general area. Judging by the weather now, its certainly a makeable trip, though it may require stopping and waiting for a line of showers to pass.

I use Dan's site and the NWS site ProCoach posted, and of course a call to the briefer in the morning. Also, remember there's no reason you can't call flight service for an outlook brief now as well.

TShort said:
Any thoughts appreciated ... my weather knowledge is OK but not great.

I am tentatively planning on flying to CO from Indy tomorrow in the skyhawk. The weather from MO on looks great .... there is a cold front that is going to pass thru here today and I'm not sure what to expect weatherwise in the AM. What are ceilings, weather typically like after a cold front passes? I am not instrument rated. I won't fly under a low deck (3500' or so is OK for part of the trip) and prefer not to fly under the clouds if there are t-storms around (don't have a 496 yet :) ). I would be willing to fly the first several hours under a reasonable overcast. Any suggestions for good weather sites or for what to expect in the AM? I am fully prepared to drive if the weather is at all questionable.

Thanks for the input...

Thomas

The latest 24 hour prog chart shows most of Missouri margin VFR for tomorrow afternoon. Up north over Iowa looks better.

dd
30 miles NW of STL

Hey Thomas,

Route looks pretty good this morning. I'll start tying some flies. Give me a call when you get here.

Fly Fishing

William I went fly fishing on the Deschutes River here in Bend Oregon last night and caught several Rainbows. Man there is nothing better that hiking around with my dog to my favorite holes and catching a few fish! Nothing to bother you, life slows down to the correct pace! You and Mr. Short have a good time fishing in beautiful Colorado.