skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
I'm finally ready to replace my all-time favorite sunglasses (Oakleys - had them for 12 years!), and am looking for a pair that are more aviation friendly. Has anyone tried these: www.HDL-3C.com ?

I think they have a booth at Osh, so just curious if anyone threw on a pair to see what the fuss is all about. If not, any other recommendations for sunglasses? Considering my track record (I keep quality stuff for a looooong time), I don't mind spening money to get the best stuff out there.

Brandon

I have a pair of the HDL-3C clip-ons. They work very well for outside visibility, but make reading some of the panel instruments a tad difficult (not impossible though). I also have a pair of Serengetti's, which are better for inside visibility and thus better overall but not as good with external clarity. YMMV.

For my money, I really like the Serengetti Drivers. They really cut the glare and haze. Can't speak to other brands since I haven't used any other brand.

Marty

Sunglasses (long reply)

otterhunter2 said:
Make sure your sunglasses are of the non-polarized version. Apparently you will have problems viewing LCD displays if you have polarized sunglasses. New info to me! But on reflection, it makes sense!! Never flown a glass cockpit. Link from Dynon on this subject.

http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1154041174

LOL

:D

This is true, but not quite as big a deal as is often stated. Reflected light off of a plane surface (like water) is partially polarized, so a polarizing filter oriented 90 degrees away can block much of the reflected light, but let other light through. This is why most high-quality sunglasses available now are polarized--they cut glare from horizontal surfaces like water.

In airplanes, there's less benefit and some disadvantages. It may be harder to spot traffic (harder to see sun glinting off shiny surfaces) and harder to read LCD displays, which polarize light themselves.

Most manufacturers of LCD-equipped cockpit eqipment realize the potential problem, and orient the displays so that they are readable through polarized sunglasses. I have a lot of hours flying behind a BMA EFIS/one, Garmin 430/396, and Avidyne Entegra with polarized glasses, and haven't had a problem. Some LCD devices that can be turned 90 degrees (like the older Garmin Pilot III) were completely useless in one orientation or another.

I sell sunglasses, so I have more pairs than would be strictly necessary, and I get to try out a lot of different ones. Although I would prefer non-polarized glasses for most flying, it's hard for me to find the other features I want, and I nearly always wind up with polarized glasses on. In my unpainted (for now) RV-8 the wings can make a very effective solar oven on some headings, and the polarization really helps with the glare.

More important considerations for me are comfort, and how the glasses interact with the headset seal. I like the Oakleys, but the temples are so thick that they render my headsets useless. I prefer frames with really thin temples that fit under the earseals, or that will comfortably ride on top of the earcups. My all-around favorites for comfort, cost-effectiveness, and function are these. Similar frames are available from half-dozen manufacturers.

In-the-ear headsets like quiet technology can broaden your choices. I'm using these with custom earmolds right now, and like that I can pretty much wear any hat or sunglasses I want.

James Freeman
I'm an ophthalmologist, but I don't play one on TV...

;) This is something I had heard recently about aviation sunglasses is that you should not get those that completely block glare or reflection because that is what your eye might catch of an aircraft that is in your flight path. ;)

My Fave sunglasses

I use the Serengetti Drivers in the aviators style shape. These brown/rose type lenses have no polarization and so they work well in jet cockpits and general aviation aircraft too. The problem with polarized lenses in Boeing cockpits is that the windshields themselves are polarized with multiple panes of glass and special films between the panes for windshield heat. That polarization doesn't show up until you arrive with your polarized glasses and then the combination produces weird patterns throughout the glass.

Getting back to RV's, the Serengettis work well in the goldfishbowl RV-4 cockpit and are one of the best colors for spotting distant aircraft, particularly in any kind of haze conditions. I have used mine for over ten years and the case is wearing out but the specs are still going strong. My lenses have graduated shading so that the tops are the darkest and the lense bottoms are lighter for looking at the gauges.

For those who need a little help in the short distance field, here is a little tip that will make it easier. There is a company that makes little clear, lens shaped, soft pads that stick on the inside of your sunglass lens, near the bottom, that is. These are available in different powers of magnification so you can custom fit them for whatever powered lens you need and position them where ever they work the best for your cockpit. Basically, you build your own bifocal sunglasses. I've been using mine for ten years and no problems with the add-on lenses either. They install using water for a lubricant and positioner, and then the water dries and they stay where ever you set them.

Cheers, Pete

the perfect pair of glasses

I would like to find the perfect pair of glasses. I define that pair with the following criteria:

1. self adjusting darkness with a wide range.
2. prescription (currently tri focal)
3. appropraite polarization for flying and day to day life
4. cool looking

I had a pair of ray bans once, aviator style, that became darker when they sensed sunlight. I don't think they ever got dark enough for a sunny Florida day. I's like to find the same kind of thing in a cool looking style, that would get really dark in bright sunlight.

Does anyone know where this perfect pair of glasses can be found?

Sunglasses

Have not had alot of experiance with sunglasses, but my current best liked ones for flying are a Ray-Ban parcial wrap around with polerized gray lenses made by wal-mart optical department. They really cut glare & clear up other trafic in the pattern. Have not flown a glass pannel, but riding a small amount in an rv6a with some glass I had no trouble seeing panel & 430/396 from passenger seat. Other faverite pair is old pair of Ray-Ban ambermatics that adjust to different light conditions in aviator style (may be ones previously talked about). They are not good in real bright sunlight, but for haze & glare in fog they are best I have ever seen. By the way I don't wear any prescription glasses.

Don't Overlook Propper Fit
Shannon Evans

Dr. James -

Is there any advantage for gray versus amber lenses in sunglasses? I really like Serengetti drivers in amber - until I sat on them. :mad:

Gray vs. Amber

My experience has been that while gray/smoke colored lenses definitely cut the brightness better, their weak point is in being able to see in flat light or in the shadows. These two conditions are where amber lenses shine. To me, it always seems like amber lenses provide better color saturation too.

jsherblon said:
Dr. James -

Is there any advantage for gray versus amber lenses in sunglasses? I really like Serengetti drivers in amber - until I sat on them. :mad:

This is mostly a matter of personal preference.

There is some evidence that contrast sensitivity may be a little better with the amber lenses, but the real difference is probably mostly psychological.

Shorter wavelengths (e.g. blue) of intense light are more likely to damage your eyes over time. Pretty much all sunglasses block the really damaging wavelengths (UV) but there may be some benefit to preferentially blocking blue.

I definitely prefer the amber lenses, but my wife can't stand them ("colors don't look right"). I think you should wear what your prefer, and anything is better for your eyes in bright dunlight than no glasses.

James

I would say there is two ways to select the sunglasses:

* the meaning :eek: (You actually just need to see things while you fly.)
* the coolness :cool: (You have to look cool, even you don't see a thing.)

And it's always some short of compromise between previous. You either select sunglasses that are extremely cool or then they don't black out things you should see - either bright or dark - and these models will look ugly (as wifes said). So better have two pair of glasses -- another for flying and another for pictures and while hanging around... I would not also select glasses which someone else prefers but like to test all by myself. It's eventually you who is wearing them. Also if you are shopping, you should defenitely be able to go outside and see clouds and the sun instead making selection in a dark booth or shopping mall.

Edit: Any comments about Randolp sunglasses? http://www.randolphusa.com/

Last edited:
I bought a pair of Scheyden flip-up dual RX last year and I am very happy with them. I have graduated bi-focal lenses, so really hated the scenario where I am in bright sunlight, shoot the ILS into the gloom, and have to land with sunglasses on in the gloom, or switch to regular glasses while I am still up in the sunshine. Switching glasses inside the outer marker does not give one a warm fuzzy feeling. :rolleyes: They are high quality and I dealt directly with Scheyden instead of the local dealer (St. Paul, MN) who was not very interested in selling me what I wanted. :cool:

Pirkka said:
I would say there is two ways to select the sunglasses:

Edit: Any comments about Randolp sunglasses? http://www.randolphusa.com/

I love Randolphs. I have about four pair. But why?

1. They always look good, no matter the season, where you are, what you're doing. Jack-of-all-trades of sunglasses.
2. The USAF issued my first pair to me and they were the only thing authorized for a while. Old habits die hard.
3. Go to an AF base that has an active duty flying squadron. You can get them for about $25 per pair tax free. CAUTION: Don't be fooled by the "AO Aviators." They look identical, but don't feel the same. You should be able to read Randolph USA under the clear coating on the bayonet temple. AO's are usually much cheaper as well.

The bayonet temples are supposed to be more confortable and more easily donned / removed while wearing a headset. Easier to remove, yes. More comfortable? You may need to customize the angle a bit.

amber and polorized sunglasses

My understanding of the regs in Canada are no amber lenes and no polorized lenes....what you wear in the air is quite another matter. ;)

I've got a pair of Randolphs that I've had for years. I like them very much in every regard except one. The bayonet style ear thingies cause the glasses to fall right off your head off whenever you bend over to pick stuff up. I've got several small nicks in the glass from them hitting the tarmac. Otherwise, they're pretty cool.

Serengetti, Oakley .. feelin' old here

My favs are the old RayBan G-73s. Not too dark. Not polarized. A little reflective. Zero glare. Tom Cruize. Top Gun. That's the look. And they work great.

But now that the eyes have succumed to age, I can't find them in a clip on that fits the ol' tri-focals. TRI FOCALS :eek:

So, for flyeyes , what's hip for lenses? I was at the opto-guys booth at OSH last year and they marveled at my cool tri-focs. Straight lines over the whole lens surface.. CRT lenses they are called. I wanted lenses that I could look side to side without moving my head for IFR (no progressives). Anything better? I need shades.

BTW. Don't get the auto-darken stuff. Needs UV to work. UV doesn't go through plastic windshields. 'bout bled to death.

John

PS. ALL LCD displays emit polarized light. Can't get around it. Have all of suppliers REALLY decided how the polarization is oriented?

szicree said:
I've got a pair of Randolphs that I've had for years. I like them very much in every regard except one. The bayonet style ear thingies cause the glasses to fall right off your head off whenever you bend over to pick stuff up. I've got several small nicks in the glass from them hitting the tarmac. Otherwise, they're pretty cool.

I've never had this problem. Actually, I've been impressed that they stay on as well as they do. May be the short hair, may be a big head. I keep my hair quite short. Short enough to apply sunscreen, but not USMC short or anything. :cool:

...In airplanes, there's less benefit and some disadvantages. It may be harder to spot traffic (harder to see sun glinting off shiny surfaces) and harder to read LCD displays, which polarize light themselves...
This is driving me crazy. I lost my good non-polarized clip-ons at LOE and am having a lot of trouble finding a replacement pair. It doesn't seem difficult to find full sun-glasses in non-polarized but for clip-ons, polarized is the big selling point.

I don't get why people like these. I understand that there are a few special circumstances where they have advantages but I know about many drawbacks. In a car it puts splotches on the windows and you can't read the gas pump or some dash displays, like my radio receiver. In my airplane they cast a pall over huge portions of the canopy and I have to tilt my head 45 degrees left to read my VM1000 and I have to tilt my hear 45 degrees right to read the RMI display. I don't want to do some kind of disco dance just to see what is going on. Not fun at all.

Anybody have a source?

Sorry cheap skate her

I did not notice any one discuss price? I can lose $200 shades as easy as $20. With out fear dispute, sunglasses are overpriced. Glass lens, shatter proof, coatings, polarization, frames, style cost money but you can get good sun glasses that don't cost over $100. I have about 6 sunglasses, the name brands I recall having:

Serengetti Drivers (amber lens are good contrast, I recall $60 on sale, semi wrap/ovel shape, black frames)
Rayban gray green (mil spec lens nutural or min affect on colors, I have three one I bought and gifts)

My cheap sun glasses are darn good and give the name brands a run for the money. I also don't cry like a little girl when I lose them. When I want the "BONO" look I put the blue wrap arounds on (good for flying the bar). Jet windows are polarized already and you don't really need shades. The shades are mostly to look cool in the terminal. For the RV I use the Drivers. On real bright sunny days I use NO NAME brand dark wrap arounds.

Last edited:
I've been a pilot for 45 years and a photographer for 38 years and these are my thoughts on sunglasses.

As a photographer, color is very important to me, more so than contrast, so all of my sunglasses are neutral gray in color.

As a pilot I have always used a gradation from dark to 15% gray on approximately the bottom third of the lenses. The gradation makes seeing the instrument panel in the airplane or the dash in the car much easier for my old eyes. Titanium frames are light and thin bows fit under the gel earcups on my David Clark headset. The frames I am currently using for both my glasses and sunglasses are made by Nikon, and have 62 mm square lenses. I like the Varilux blended lenses as I could never get used to bi and tri focal lenses.

Wil Heslin

sunglasses

Contact Hidalgo's 800-786-2012 [email protected] and they will send you a catalog which is the most complete guide to selecting sunglasses and lenses you will find.

I chose Randolph frames and I have trifocal lenses with Kontraster tint which is excellent for flying and reading glass panels.

This was done by mail and the fit was perfect! You will learn everything about eyeglasses from this catalog. They have many brands and models.

Ken